Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kitfox 4 door upper glass, gas stained from fuel tank quick drain.

Default kitfox 4 door upper glass, gas stained from fuel tank quick drain.

Has anyone had a problem, with the fuel tank drain staining the top door window. What have you done to protect it.

Default Re: kitfox 4 door upper glass, gas stained from fuel tank quick drain.

Replace the o-ring in the drain.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Does the 4 have the same flush mount SA-18 drains as the 7? Has anyone found a pair of microscopic snap ring pliers that can get them out for the rebuild? Just had to replace a drain vs rebuild because I couldn’t get the snap ring off.

Thanks for your reply, but not what i was looking for. I need something to protect the Lexan from gas, or Lexan that gas will not stain and break. These drains leak a few drops after checking for water. Looking for someone that has had this problem, and how they solved it. Thanks
    Last edited by garellison; 05-31-2022 at 05:55 PM.

The drains on this kitfox 4 are the screw in type sold by Aircraft Spruce.

I used a fuel sample cup like this https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...samplercup.php

I had to hold it under the drain valve a few seconds to catch any drips after taking a sample. If the quick drain valves drip after a couple seconds I would replace them.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    I used a fuel sample cup like this https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...samplercup.php

I had to hold it under the drain valve a few seconds to catch any drips after taking a sample. If the quick drain valves drip after a couple seconds I would replace them.
    Thanks, I use one of those myself, works well most of the time. Its just that one time when you open door and a drip or two hits window. It stain it and it breaks. Just would like to find material that would not be harmed by gas.

I use PETG for the doors. It’s fuel-proof, and easy to cut to shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocock View Post
    Interesting, why haven't I heard more about this? Anyone else using it?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by Monocock View Post
    I am quite interested in this, what thickness did you use?
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs