Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airventure 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Airventure 2022

66 days and counting...

It's never too early to start thinking AIRVENTURE!

IMG_0086.JPG
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Airventure 2022

Heading up to Oshkosh this afternoon for weekend work party to start getting things ramped up for the show. I'll report back with any new info that is given to us.

Rick

Not much in the way of new projects was reported to us at the work party. Due to logistics and supply problems most big projects except for the museum expansion are now on the back burner. Moving the ultralight field to the southwest is now not expected before 2024. On a sad note, if you're looking for shade during the show, another 500 elm trees have been lost due to the emerald ash borer. Spent the weekend helping build new and much larger signs for the tram stops. About 50 volunteers showed up.

Rick

"...500 elm trees have been lost due to the emerald ash borer..."

Huh?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Sorry, tired from the weekend. Ash trees.

Hi Clarence
    I've done Camp Scholler a few times. Ive always rolled in on Sunday before show start. Whish I had had a bike every time. Truth be told, the earlier you get in there the less the bike matters. I have had to stay out in the back 40, near the highway and that's quite a walk. You will spend more time waiting for the busses than the walk, even from the highway. Not every time but most. The walk can be somewhat entertaining as well and it really adds only about 15% of addtl mileage to your day when considering how much walking you will be doing. 15% can be murder though after walking 12 miles already. Depending on how "refined" you are, the showers in Camp S. are OK and having the markets available for various grocery's is a plus. So, having the motorhome without hookups was fine for me and my boys. Top off the Propane tanks, maybe bring an extra so you can run the AC when it gets hot. If you chose to use your rigs amenities, cleanouts are on the grounds at the exit. I made a trip to the cleanout station mid week without issue, partly because nobody wanted my spot out near the highway anyhow. Have a great time.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I watched the reporting from AirVenture on “Meet the Administrator” . . . what a letdown. The Administrator managed to use all the double speak of a good bureaucrat. He said nothing of substance with no direct policy. The assistant FAA Administrator gave a timeline for the NPRM on MOSAIC in August 2023.

So, no answer on new/updated Light Sport rules… back to the discussions on planning what prop.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

For those who were able to attend (and even those who couldn't) and haven't seen some of the final numbers: Total attendance was 650,000+ a new record, 10,000+ aircraft, 40,000+ campers ( a low estimate IMHO). As one who witnessed the "zoo" that was Camp Scholler starting about Wednesday afternoon, I can certainly attest to the fact that EAA needs to find more space for camping somewhere although I have no idea where. Until Wednesday afternoon, security was very strict about parking east/west and no tents (I was in the 24 hour generator area around 3rd and the emergency runway). After that it anything goes. East/west or north/south, tents, cargo trailers, it was all fair game (except for the couple campers who thought the emergency runway was perfect). Ran into an old friend hadn't seen in years. Unfortunately that was Thursday so missed Larry's BBQ. Countdown calendar on Airventure website for next year has started. Can't wait!!

Rick

Hello, this will be my first trip to Airventure. My wife and I will be camping at Camp Scholler. Since I work in the aviation community, lots of pilot and other mechanic friends are giving me suggestions but none of them have ever been, so I am not sure about the advise. They all say to take bikes or a golf cart to get around camp. Any suggestions on things that are good to have with us. We are bringing the RV and hopefully we can get an improved site. Bucket list for me and learning experience for my wife. I am hoping to get a better idea of what I want to equip my plane with.

Thanks,

Clarence G

Clarence

You'll probably get numerous replies to this so here's mine. First, I would go to the Airventure portion of the EAA website and there is a lot of info there about Camp Scholler. It will open for registration on June 24. The improved sites some years have gone fast and slowly at others so it's up to you. Be aware that you start paying for the site on the first day that you register for. There is usually a page showing the open improved sites. Non-improved is first come first serve. Bring comfortable walking shoes!!! Weather can range from downright cool to very hot and humid with the occasional tstorm thrown in the mix so plan clothing accordingly. Sunscreen is a must have. Can't address golf carts but bikes come in very handy. It may be easier to find a spot for a bike as opposed to a cart. There are several convenience stores in the camp and Wallyworld and regular grocery stores are a fairly quick drive. As for planning on what to see, you can plan out every day or just wing it and go wherever you want. Most of all just enjoy aviation's mecca. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Rick