Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Level Sensor tank (above header tank) gas leak

Default Re: Fuel Level Sensor tank (above header tank) gas leak

Sorry for the slow reply. I ended up trying the 85420 stuff. At first it seemed to work. No leaks after a few flights. Then, after sitting for 2 weeks I went back and found it was leaking again. Both at the bottom fitting and the sensor fitting. It appeared to have eaten away at the blue sealant as what was left was white-ish. I removed it again and have re-cleaned and re-sealed it again using the same stuff (i don't have anything else.). So far on a pressurized bench test it's holding after 24hr. I'm going to leave it for the week. However, I'm a bit concerned the threads are damaged in the aluminum. This time I went for broke with tightening the fittings and they seemed to get a full extra rotation. So either I was too safe previously or I just screwed them up for good. None of the fittings in my header tank have suffered the same and they are using the original other permatex sealant which hardens. If it leaks this time I'm removing it and just going right to header tank.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I’m having this same problem with the 85420 stuff that Kitfox recommends. I think I may have applied it incorrectly though the first time. If you read the instructions, it says to coat both sides and let it dry before assembling. It also says it needs 2 hours to “set” and then 24 hours to cure before you expose it to fuel. I’m trying this now and will report back what happens. If this doesn’t work, I think I’m going to try Oatey’s Great White Pipe Sealant. You have to be careful that the sealant is safe in plastic for the float sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL

I had the same problem with the plastic float sensor threads; none of the thread sealants seemed to work for very long. I finally cleaned off the old sealant and used Hysol on the threads. No leaks now for about 8 years. I know this is fairly permanent and not a recommended procedure, but I got tired of messing around and found a solution.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

So far it's been holding up fine. I check every time I get in now because it was such a problem. Something about it still makes me uneasy - but no drips - totally try.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO