Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frugal Fox - SS7

Default Frugal Fox - SS7

Hello, first time builder here. Got started mid march on this SuperSport 7 build. Coined it the name Frugal Fox because cost was a pretty heavy factor in the configuration. I do believe that a kitfox can be built for much less. However, my objective was to build the best airplane that I could with the limited budget I had set aside, without having to re-do much (will choose to re-do some stuff down the road for sure) at a later date.

The main area that I splurged on was the bubble doors and tint upgrade. Being 6'2" i really wanted the extra elbow room that the bubble doors allow. A few of the other options that I selected as must-have for me were the adjustable rudder pedals, and dual brake kit. The notable items that i wanted but cut were the streamline struts, vent kit, and heater kit. I went with the PVC fairings and am currently planning to design my own ventilation system and heater. I may end up getting anxious to finish building and start flying and buy the factory kit later, but for now i am still loving the build. Gear will be grove on 8.5s with the standard tailwheel. Currently hoping to swing a 912iS with a ground adjustable prop, minimalist avionics.

My build setup is a two car garage and has worked out fine so far. I had to get a little creative on where to store some parts. I ended up breaking a false rib when the wings were on the rotisseries being stored and the space was a bit crowded. I backed up into it and my jacket caught on it. Will have to repair that down the road. Wings have since been re-located to the ceiling.

Inventory went fine, took me about 8 hours total. Kitfox did a great job, I only had three hardware bags that were short a few pieces. I counted out all parts with QTYs less than 50. Any bags with more than 50 pieces in them i rolled the dice on for having the correct amount. I managed to get most parts onto one large shelf. Large components that are obvious to locate were stored away in the garage or basement. All smaller pieces were put on the shelf. Since the boxes dont necessarily correspond with the kit that they are a part of, and the inventory sheets go by kit, i created a box and designated it by kit designator and box designator. So for example a fuselage part originally in box 2, was put into box F2 on my shelf. So when i need to find a part by number, i find it in the inventory sheet and then that sheet tells me what kit it is a part of and what box it came from and that tells me where to find it on my shelf. I created some sub-boxes for small parts and for hardware. So for small fuselage parts from box 2, they went into box F2S. I noted these exceptions on the inventory sheet.

Future posts will be shorter. I will try and highlight the ways I'm doing things and identify what works well and what doesn't. Also, I am open to, and appreciate all comments and suggestions.

20220517_211901.jpg20220517_211927.jpg

Default Re: Frugal Fox - SS7

Nice! Looking good. Always fun to read build logs so thanks for posting. Another Montana build to the list!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Welcome to the community. The build portion is far more enjoyable than the inventory .
    Just to toss a consideration your way, (its always best to know early as possible) the 912iS will require something in the order of an EFIS or electronic engine display. That fact may be something beyond your thinking of "basic" avionics. Enjoy the build. We will all be watching.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Nothing wrong with that series of choices. You'll enjoy the building process which will result in a great airplane.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

You have joined a really helpful group that will help you through those hard and not so hard spots.
    Look forward to watching your build! Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks for the responses and support! Noted on the EFIS and thanks for the heads up for the 912iS. Ill factor that in for sure. Id like to go with one experimental EFIS but haven't gone down the full avionics rabbit hole yet. Got some picts of parts that i made (non pre-fab brackets) back from ano. Made these with a hack saw, dremel tool, belt/disk combo sander, bench top drill press, sand paper and scotch brite pads for anyone reading this debating kit options, i hope this helps. About 1-3 hrs per part depending on complexity. The price of the pre-fab bracket kit wasnt in my budget, but I enjoy making these kind of parts. From a time/cost perspective of the pre-fab kit i understand why its priced the way it is, and i think its fair for the amount of time saved, for those in a hurry to get in the air. I chose to ano them because I friend of mine let me throw them in with his parts lot so price cost was nearly free. The flaperon position brackets are chem conversion coated (hard to see the yellow tone in the photos). I choose to coat bare metal of any type whenever possible. That leads me to a question for those of you who have built kit planes in the past: how cautious does do you get when it comes to the powdercoat finish and filling voids with primer or hysol. There are hundreds of small voids where corrosion could begin on the fuselage. It makes me paranoid. I have been filling them with hysol and/or epoxy primer as i see them. Curious what other builders are doing here. Picts show some examples of current voids that i think i should fill. Thoughts?

20220519_215716.jpg20220519_215614.jpg20220518_212419.jpg20220518_212319.jpg

If that photo of the black anodized brackets is typical of your work, you're going to have a beautiful airplane. Well done!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I agree with filling voids in the powder coat wherever you notice them. The importance of doing this certainly increases if you are based in a wet, humid, or coastal environment. Gives good peace of mind knowing that you are doing your best.
    I prefer using Hysol for its sealing and bridging properties. When I was building and using Hysol for some task, when I was done with the task, I used the left-over Hysol and looked around for voids to fill.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Dan,

When I saw your handle, "frugal Fox", I thought "Hey - that was me when we built our plane!" I did not have much of a budget but I knew all about sweat equity!

The old saw that you can get it, good, cheap and fast, but you only get to choose two is certainly true; and, I found myself in the financial position of needing to hold a budget I could afford similar to your comments. Your work on the brackets looks first rate including prepping the bare metal so it will hold a finish. Everything Jim said is spot on regarding sealing up the spaces.

In our case I ordered the slow build wings, skipped the prefabbed parts and ordered all bare weldments. Sandblasting is a dirty job but in combination with epoxy primer and an aerothane topcoat it gave me a chance to fully inspect all those nooks and crannies and to prep and coat the whole business so I knew exactly what I had as well as save a few bucks. As you mentioned, I found fabricating the brackets and small parts an enjoyable task.

As far as additional corrosion proofing I prepped and epoxy sloshed the inside of the spars, drag tubes and elevator push pull tube. Also epoxy primered the outside surface of the spars (the poly fiber varnish is perfectly compatible with the epoxy primer) Painted everything that could be painted and coated the inside of the lift struts with boiled linseed oil (maybe an old timer's corrosion proofing method). Sealed up everything that could be sealed. I had the benefit of a local master poly fiber person who knew every fine point you could imagine - unfortunately he is no longer with us but he knew the poly fiber system inside and out.

Good luck with your project. I'd say you are off to a really good start!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Once again, thanks for all the great feedback and sanity check on filling every little void with hysol or epoxy primer.

I have been using the Stewart Systems EkoPoxy for bare metal touch up. The Smoke Gray is pretty similar to the light gray powdercoat that kitfox offers. Most areas won't be seen anyway but it still looks nice to be close to a match color wise.

I am now mounting the horizontal stabilizer. It appears that the top ear of the strut needs to be trimmed back a bit to reduce a riding condition on the fuselage mounting tab (circled in pict below). Have others run into this situation? The hole on the strut is already at 2D so trimming any off metal would result in less than a 2D edge margin. Since the other ear does not need to be trimmed it would remain at 2D. Probably OK but it has me thinking.

I also don't like the amount that the ears have to clamp down to make contact with the fuselage tab. I am considering a washer as a spacer similar to as pictured. Pictured should be rotated 90deg CW. The washer also helps the riding condition. Taking a break for the night to think about how to proceed.
    Attached Images Attached Images