Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SwiftFox - S7 Super Sport Build (Vancouver, Canada)

Default SwiftFox - S7 Super Sport Build (Vancouver, Canada)

Hi all! My name is Nathan, I'm first time builder in Vancouver, Canada and I'm building a S7 Super Sport.

The current plan in summary form is to go with the following:
    • Engine: Rotax 912iS
    • Prop: 70inch 3-blade Airmaster (with whirlwind blades)
    • Gear: Grove Spring Gear with Beringer 8inch wheels and brakes and a T3 Tailwheel
    • Covering: Stewart Systems
    • Avionics: Full Garmin suite with a Garmin G3X Touch (10 inch) as the main PFD

The kit arrived on March 25th. I met Brandon and Heather in Bellingham WA and transferred the kit into a rental truck to bring it across the border into Canada.

Kit Delivery.png

I immediately started building a couple of wing rotisseries and a stand for the fuselage to stand on. There was another aircraft in the hangar for the first couple of weeks as it waited to depart for its new home, so I was delayed getting the rotisseries and stand finished due to that. Once that other aircraft was gone, I completed inventory which took just 2 days, and then started on the horizontal stabilizer.

Wing Rotisseries and Fuselage Stand.png

It's been a few weeks since then, and a lot has been done and learned. The ribs and rib stiffeners are glued into the horizontal stabilizer and elevator, and I'm going to be mounting them into the fuselage next.

Glued Ribs.png

It has been an interesting start to say the least. There's been days when I've been able to get a lot done, and other days where I've spent most of my time just figuring out what I needed to do a particular piece of work; with a lot of trips to hardware stores. It's all part of the experience so I'm not at all demotivated by it. In fact its the opposite, I'm feeling like I'm learning a lot and getting more into a rhythm with each day.

I'm working full time on the build until at least the end of August, and we'll see where we can go from there.

The forums have been a hugely helpful resource thus far. Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I've been following a lot of other build threads and have notes from many of you of ways to do things better, easier, faster, etc. I'm going to be incorporating much of your ideas into my build.
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS
    - Airmaster CS Prop (3-blade)

@nathanflying
    https://www.youtube.com/@SwiftFoxBuildProject

Default Re: SwiftFox - S7 Super Sport Build (Vancouver, Canada)

Welcome Nathan!
    You are starting an adventure for sure.
    There will be times that you wonder why I started this! haha. But in the end it is all worth it.
    Teamkitfox is a great place to get lots of the info you will need during the built.
    I look forward to watching your build as it progresses. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Congrats Nathan on your kit delivery and such a good start to the build process. Will be following progress.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks, Harlan and DesertFox4. Appreciate the words of support.

Building has been progressing solidly. All of the ribs are bonded and varnished in the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, the elevator, and the rudder. I'm preparing now to bond in the fibreglass fairing onto the vertical stabilizer.

I learned a lot about trimming and bonding the ribs working on the horizontal stabilizer and elevator, and am much happier with the quality of my work in the vertical stabilizer and rudder as a result. The gluing, in particular, looks a lot better! I've been using the applicator gun and cartridges instead of the syringe/ziploc bag methods as I figured it would allow me to go a bit slower and correct more mistakes. It's definitely a nice way to go about gluing.

I've had the horizontal stabilizer mounted into the fuselage, and hooked up to the trim motor. My slider blocks are fitting very snug. So snug I'm a little concerned they might be too tight, and that the trim motor might be taxed in operation. Using a 9V battery, I timed how long it took the motor to move the horizontal from the bottom position (nose up) to top position (nose down), and it was about 21 seconds. Seems like a long time, but it is also only a 9V battery. I'm wondering if others have timed theirs with a 9V battery (or other known voltage) and know what their timing was for a comparison?

Slider Blocks.jpg
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

My trim motor is easily accessible so I'll time it with a 9v tomorrow morning. I've tested it with a 12v motorcycle battery and it didn't take anything like 21 seconds but with a simple 9v battery it might.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    My trim motor is easily accessible so I'll time it with a 9v tomorrow morning. I've tested it with a 12v motorcycle battery and it didn't take anything like 21 seconds but with a simple 9v battery it might.
    Thanks, alexM. Appreciate it!
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

The good news about using a 9V battery to exercise the trim motor is that it works - kinda. The bad news is that the 9V battery has two things working against it; low voltage and low current. With those two issues it's going to be slow. If you are worried that the trim motor has an issue - hook it to a car battery or something with the power to drive it at its rated voltage with enough current. The 9V battery isn't going to give you a good yay or neigh indication.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Mine goes full stroke in about 10 seconds with the ship battery, which is around 13 volts.

If you want to know if the slider blocks are too tight time the actuator with the blocks removed or just run the actuator totally disconnected from the stab.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks, all.

Phil, I'll definitely try your suggestion when I get out to the hangar later this morning. The horizontal stabilizer is out of the fuselage at the moment so I can pretty easily time the motor on its own.

To elaborate a little on where my concern came from. Before even connecting the trim motor to the horizontal I was worried the slider blocks were too tight. It required a bit of a push to get the slider blocks around the bar in the fuselage, and then to move the horizontal stabilizer up or down, I need to give it a good push or pull depending on the desired direction, and there's no fine control on how far it will travel.

I used the 9V battery mostly as a way to get a repeatable measurement and it was what I had readily available. I might see if I can get my hands on a 12V to be closer to a real-world scenario.
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

Alright, so I'm not much less concerned about the slider blocks being too tight. I tested the motor on its own (not connected to the horizontal stabilizer) using the 9V battery and the travel time is close enough to when the horizontal is attached. I'll retest again when I've got the proper battery, but for now, I'm moving on.

I've got most of the tail section completed now. I still need to do the foam tips, and measure and verify the rudder has 25° of travel. I'm also going to come back prior to covering and clean up some of the transitions so that some lumps and bumps can't be seen through the fabric etc.

On cutting the access holes in the rudder, the diagram in the manual showed quite a large rectangular hole for the bottom one where the rudder stop and rudder horn are. I ended up doing 3 separate holes, sized just for what each are needed for. Not sure if I'll need to just make a single large one later, but this seems to work...?

I saw mention of John (McBean's?) personal airplane having some covers over these access holes. I couldn't find any photos on the forum of them. Does anyone have any details on these, or photos?

Bottom Access Hole Front View.jpg Bottom Access Hole Side View.jpg

On to what I'm doing next; I'm starting Flight Controls today!
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying