Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SwiftFox - S7 Super Sport Build (Vancouver, Canada)

Default Re: SwiftFox - S7 Super Sport Build (Vancouver, Canada)

Thanks Jim, Harlan.

I got out to the hangar again this afternoon, and a friend from a couple of hangars down came in to look at them for me too. At first glance he thought they would probably be fine, but after a few minutes more chatting and looking we came to the realization that I had overtightened them. I wasn't aware of the tightening procedure for NPT fittings.

We pulled out the two fittings I had put in, and inspected the threads on the female side and they were a bit off from the overtightening. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by re-tapping I was told, so thankful to have heard that.

I've just ordered a tap, and replacement fittings too, and they should be here by early next week. I'll re-tap all of the holes in the header tank (not just the ones I put the fittings in).

I'm going to shift focus now to installing the auto-pilot servo kits while waiting for everything to arrive.

While I am stalled on continuing to work on the header tank, is there a trick to getting the elbow fittings to point the desired direction when installing them, or is it a trial and error type of thing?
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS
    - Airmaster CS Prop (3-blade)

@nathanflying
    https://www.youtube.com/@SwiftFoxBuildProject

Quote Originally Posted by nathan_s View Post
    While I am stalled on continuing to work on the header tank, is there a trick to getting the elbow fittings to point the desired direction when installing them, or is it a trial and error type of thing?
    If you have more than one of the same elbow fittings you can do it by trial and error. You should be able to get these fittings tight enough, but not to tight within the one turn limitation. Be sure to use the EZ Lube or other fuel fitting thread sealant. This both seals the fitting and allows it to turn without galling (aluminum galls easily). Start by turning it in by hand till you can't turn it any more, then use a wrench to turn it to the desired orientation. As long as you can't loosen it by hand it should be fine. As a last resort you could tap out the hole another half turn, but I have not found this to be necessary in all of my experience.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil. Will try that way.

For the sealant, I'm using Permatex 85420 which was supplied with the kit from Kitfox.
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

NPT tap arrived along with the replacement fittings. One of my hangar neighbours has a lot of automotive maintenance experience, so I asked them to come by to help with the header tank. Figured I could use the experience after messing up the first attempt.

We were able to re-tap the ports (is “port” the right term?) in the header tank, although we didn’t get too many extra turns in from what was already there. The fittings maybe go one, or one and a half more threads in now. According to my neighbour, it is a function of where the taper is in the header tank. If I had longer fittings with more of the bottom end of the taper, or the taper in the port was more towards the bigger side, more threads would go in.

Alas, we’re where we are, and he reckons there is enough in and they won’t leak. I’ll be keeping an eye on it for sure during testing.

We ended up not putting in the elbow fittings permanently yet as he suggested waiting until the fuel lines were being run to make sure they were pointing in the direction I want, so they’re just in there barely hand tight.

Autopilot servos got installed easy enough. The bracket for the pitch servo was warped a bit from the manufacturing process at the factory, so I needed to manipulate it a bit it to have it sit nicely into the fuselage frame. Other than that, it was a straightforward process.

I didn’t put on the cages that protect the servo from going over center. I figured I’d wait until I’ve rigged all the push rods before figuring out where the cage needs to go. I assume rigging of the elevator push rods should happen before covering, as it’ll be awkward getting into the aft of the fuselage to change the rod end lengths?

Trim position sensor kit is also installed. My sensor housing came with a mounting hole pre-drilled in it, and there was also a hole pre-drilled in the tab on the fuselage for it. Using these mounting holes though meant there was about a half inch gap between the sensor switch and the position bracket in the horizontal stabilizer when in the full nose-up trim. I ended up having to drill a new hole in the fuselage tab, and also mount the sensor on the back side of it to make the travel of the sensor switch work.

I’m working on the end caps for all the tail feathers now, because I’m going to be moving hangars at the end of this month and I don’t want to open up any new bags of parts or have loose stuff lying around when I have to move.

I’ve been building in a friends hangar up until now, while waiting for my hangar to complete. It has been delayed a lot due to COVID and other things. It is at a different airport so there’s some logistics involved that I’m not looking forward to, but I’m more looking forward to being in my new place.

- S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

Just got some great news! My prop has shipped from Airmaster. I had been advised it was looking like it would be next spring before it would arrive, but I guess some circumstances changed, and it is now on its way!
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying

Quote Originally Posted by nathan_s View Post
    Just got some great news! My prop has shipped from Airmaster. I had been advised it was looking like it would be next spring before it would arrive, but I guess some circumstances changed, and it is now on its way!

Good to hear! Hopefully supplies will get back to normal on lots of items.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Airmaster prop arrived yesterday, and looks great! It'll be a while before I can mount it though.

Airmaster Boxes.jpg
    Spinner.jpg
    Blade.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - S7 Super Sport
    - Rotax 912iS

@nathanflying