Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dynon D180 sensor resistors

Default Dynon D180 sensor resistors

In the Dynon D180 installation manual when installing oil, cht, get, and coolant sensors that a 1k resistor needs to be wired in. I cannot find these resistors on Dynon web site part number 100446-000. Does anyone know where to find these and how to wire them in? It says that they need a 5v excitation and I have no clue how to provide that to the resistor.

Default Re: Dynon D180 sensor resistors

5v "excitation" is just 5V hooked to one side of the resistor. Looking at your pic it appears there is 5V somewhere on the unit's connector that you can tap into for the 5V. If you don't have a resistor, there are any number of places to get one. Amazon has them for sure. Look for one that's 1k ohm and 1/4 Watt. Should be plenty. Kind of a crazy thing to call it, like there is something special there but there isn't. Google "pull up resistor" and you'll see a bunch of examples.

Good Luck

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

The table at the upper right corner of the image you posted shows that 5V for the 1k resistor comes from the EMS 37-pin connector, pin #18. This is repeated in the last sentence of the Coolant Temperature Sensor section.

The resistors are very cheap on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/293027014491

Dynon might send you replacements for the cost of a phone call. Their customer service is pretty good.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks, I figured out where the wire hooks up from but was having trouble getting what the specs was for the resistor. I finally got the guy to tell me what they were. he had said they come in their full EMS writing harness but I had to order form aircraft spruce and piece it together so I am doubtful that I will have any resistors when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    5v "excitation" is just 5V hooked to one side of the resistor. Looking at your pic it appears there is 5V somewhere on the unit's connector that you can tap into for the 5V. If you don't have a resistor, there are any number of places to get one. Amazon has them for sure. Look for one that's 1k ohm and 1/4 Watt. Should be plenty. Kind of a crazy thing to call it, like there is something special there but there isn't. Google "pull up resistor" and you'll see a bunch of examples.

Good Luck

Geek
    [/COLOR]
    Thanks I did eventually see that pin 18 was for a 5v exciter. how do you wire these in? To me it looks like I would just solder a wire to either end with one end going to pin 18 and add the other end of the wire to the terminal before crimping. Is there a better way to do this?

Personally, I wouldn't put the resistor right at the sensor. It has a solid wire lead coming out of it that is subject to fatigue breakage due to engine vibration. Electrically speaking, it makes no difference where it is in the path from Pin 18 to the sensor.

I would trim the resistor's leads down to about 1/2", then fold them back on themselves to make a 1/4" hook. Do the same with the wire and solder the resistor inline somewhere along the harness where it can be rigidly supported, either within a larger harness bundle or against structure. After soldering, cover each joint with small diameter heat shrink tubing, then cover the whole resistor and the joints with larger heat shrink.

Adhesive lined heat shrink is your friend, firewall forward.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't put the resistor right at the sensor. It has a solid wire lead coming out of it that is subject to fatigue breakage due to engine vibration. Electrically speaking, it makes no difference where it is in the path from Pin 18 to the sensor.

I would trim the resistor's leads down to about 1/2", then fold them back on themselves to make a 1/4" hook. Do the same with the wire and solder the resistor inline somewhere along the harness where it can be rigidly supported, either within a larger harness bundle or against structure. After soldering, cover each joint with small diameter heat shrink tubing, then cover the whole resistor and the joints with larger heat shrink.

Adhesive lined heat shrink is your friend, firewall forward.

Thanks Eric, I also thought somewhere in line would be more appropriate but wasn't sure and a google search didn't result in much that made sense to me.