Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision tuning the Rotax 912 UL/ULS

Default Re: Precision tuning the Rotax 912 UL/ULS

Swift 94 for the last 300 hours

Appreciate your sharing your methodology and procedures. I have never felt my 912 was "tuned" properly either and have ordered an air/fuel gage to put in the muffler and
    try your ideas.

One thought though - as you said you live in Reno at about 5000 ft. You have tuned your engine for that altitude. I live in Oklahoma at 500 ft. I'm curious to see if I end up with the same needle settings ( #2 slot) and close to the idle screw adjustments you have. My gut says your engine would be too lean down at 500 feet. Have you given any thoughts as to what you might need to adjust if you came down off the mountain? This should be a fun exercise.

Thanks
    Rodney
    N357RW

please keep us informed on your process and what you end up with. I have sun free made a few more changes and as such need to make a final update to the forum with the end settings. I know for a fact my final main jet is a 160 and needle clip went back to position 3 after that main jet went in. For some reason it ended up ridiculously fat in the mid range after that main jet upsize. Sadly when I pull back to 4800 ish im back in a lean condition, but all other settings im either slightly rich or dead on.

as for the adjustments when I come out of the mountains and back down to normal…. Nooo idea haha. I’ve permanently installed the ARF in my plane and will be tinkering as I play at different airport elevations. Yay self proclaimed test pilot

Weel have another update for the day - managed to kill yet another Innovate AFR gauge - thats three in just as many weeks. Soooo..... pulled the gauge and the sensor yet again, returned it for an AEM unit, and reinstalled. I will say that the inly change made to the carbs today was tinkering with float height a bit more and just before the gauge died i was able to confirm that I have drastically reduced the lean condition that was present before with just a small bump in the float bowl height.

Ive recorded alot of this and will be piecing together another video throughout this coming week to summarize what all was done and how the engine is now performing as a result of all of these changes.

thank you all for participating in this and looking forward to getting some data from those of you that have informed me youre going to go down this tuning rabbit hole as well.

Nicholas - I'm going to order the AFR unit this evening and that got me to thinking - is there a reason that you didn't install the sensor in the exhaust stinger? Thanks, Darrel

Good to hear you’re taking the plunge! I’m actually working on a split muffler right now to install dual sensors to allow for tuning each carb independently.

in regards to your question, the answer is a yes. They don’t recommend installing these sensors within 18 inches of the exhaust opening due to mixing of outside air and the likely hood of skewed results is high. I’d aim for dead center on that can of running a single sensor system. I may be considering using this split muffler I’m finishing up tomorrow as a tuning system for people that are interested in having tuning done, but in the long run don’t want to permanently install the sensors and gauges into their planes due to weight…. Stay tuned! Looking forward to hearing your results!

Boom! Tomorrow we see how each bank runs independent of each other.

BDCC7C16-6DCB-4BDC-B2A6-68AD4C4AD343.jpgCAE2F4AF-D2F0-42CB-9E72-7C2F2CC834C2.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know - - - - - - - -

BTW - my muffler and AFS are both inbound!

Well temp installed it and had to make a few final adjustments. Tomorrow should be the initial fire up with dual gauges and the split exhaust. I’ll make sure to record and post.

www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4110

www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0300?rrec=true

Would these kits all I need to monitor my a/f ratio?
    Appreciate all your work here. Gives me hope that my carb's can be tuned to a higher degree of efficiency.
    Last edited by bbs428; 05-30-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades