Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Battery Do You Use?

Default Re: What Battery Do You Use?

agreed, I'll be using Aerolithium for the same reasons except for the ' certified ' part which I dont care about and they are a little less costly.

PC-680. Long shelf life and if needed, almost any battery charger will work. Readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Battman View Post
    7Ah capacity is all thats needed apparently.
    As Jim suggested above, there’s more to choosing a battery than its cranking ability and price tag. Consider a few questions:

• Are you using an engine with one alternator, or two?
    • Is your engine self-sustaining, or does it require electricity to run?
    • How do you plan to use the airplane (VFR or IFR, back-country, cross country or local)?
    • What is your ship’s running airframe electrical load?
    • What are you willing to turn off to shed electrical load if all power generators fail?
    • How much battery-only endurance do you want to achieve?
    • How hyper-focused are you on minimizing empty weight?

Your battery capacity and chemistry preferences will be different depending on how you answer those questions.

For a Rotax engine, check the electrical section (chapter 24) of the engine installation manual. For all of the 900-series engines Rotax recommends a battery with at least 16Ah capacity and 350CCA, but the capacity will obviously be more critical for an electrically dependent engine like the 912iS or 915iS, for which a dead battery = no thrust. The same consideration would apply to any automotive conversion with high pressure fuel pumps, electronic ignition and an ECU.

As an example, I’m using a 912iS in a plane that will be used for day/night VFR and some back-country flying. I plan to use an EarthX ETX-900 (15.6Ah, 400CCA). My plane will be configured to aggressively load shed if I lose both alternators and have to run the engine on battery only. The entire Dynon suite, transponder, ADS-B and most lights will be shut off. I’ll finish the flight using a standby instrument (combined altimeter, airspeed and VSI), comm radio, landing and cabin lights (only as needed) and pitch trim. All of that adds up to a few hundred miiliamps of average load. Finally, I’ll test the battery at least annually to verify its capacity.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I respect everyone's own decision but want to put in my reasoning for going with a powersport lithium battery rather than EarthX. Obviously the big one is cost. I spent $160 from Amazon for the NOCO battery I chose versus $380 for the EarthX. The EarthX is certainly a proven option, but having used lithium powersport batteries in motorcycles for a few years I had some experience with them. Eric brough up some points about the EarthX that I compared to what you get with a powersport lithium battery below. Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons of every selection on building an airplane. For me the cost, the fact that the Kitfox is a VFR airplane, and my previous experience led me to save the $200+ and I don't regret it. For others the differences may be such that you feel more comfortable with the EarthX and that is fine. Just giving my view.

• Fully built-in, proven cell balancing and safety circuitry.(All lithium batteries require some kind of BMS. At least the NOCO I have and the antigravity do have BMS with over-discharge, over-charge, thermal protection and cell balancing.)
    • Now certified for use in certified aircraft.(EarthX has the corner on this but homebuilts don't need certified products.)
    • Lithium-Iron technology-safer than Lithium-Poly. (Virtually all powersport batteries are Lithium iron phosphate, not Lithium polymer so I don't see how this is a factor)
    • 10# weight savings compared to AGM.(You get this with powersport lithium batteries too)
    • Great cranking power. (Same with powersport lithium batteries)
    • No need for trickle charger. (Haven't needed one on my 582 powered Kitfox with powersport lithium battery either and the 582 has a weak charging system compared to even a 912UL.)
    • Panel mounted fault light. (The powersport batteries don't have this, but then again a standard battery doesn't either. For a vfr airplane I don't see this as a huge deal.)
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)