Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: KingFox Model 7 STi - beginning the build

Default Re: KingFox Model 7 STi - beginning the build

In this vid I’ll be discussing the Viking engine that a commenter lead me onto. Thanks George, I think this is going to help make my kit a bit more unique. I really like Honda & believe they produce a great product so I don’t see why this engine will be any different from those I’ve owned in the past. On top of all that it is a bit simpler than other engines & to top it all off the price is right.

Matt Koeniguer building the KingFox
    https://www.youtube.com/@KingFox76
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Monster Shocks - 29” Alaskan Bushwheels & TW
    Engine - Wanted Rotax, now considering the Viking 150
    Propeller - MT, now probably a DUC for the Viking
    Stits Poly Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
    In this vid I’ll be discussing the Viking engine that a commenter lead me onto. Thanks George, I think this is going to help make my kit a bit more unique. I really like Honda & believe they produce a great product so I don’t see why this engine will be any different from those I’ve owned in the past. On top of all that it is a bit simpler than other engines & to top it all off the price is right.

Interesting thought and you have me thinking as well. I personally feel better about that option than the snowmobile options. My first thought is weight and how that will affect the need to sweep the wings. Is there a weight where you need to sweep the wings forward? The manual just references the Continental and Lycoming engines. But it seems like the weights are similar.

I have been committed to the Rotax line as well but I am intrigued and doing more research now! Looking forward to others opinions.

I enjoy your videos!

-Michael

I'm posting this here because it wouldn't fit in a youtube comment.

Who wouldn't love a turboprop? Turbaero has been to Osh at least 3 times and we've never heard a running engine or have any specs to back up their 200hp claim. I wish them the best but until I smell burning kerosene my wallet will stay in my pocket. I'd bet my next paycheck they'll be at Osh next year and still no engine on a flying airplane. All I know is that Czech built Tucano replica would be sick with a 200hp turboprop on it.

If you really wanted a turboprop you missed the Solar T62, which has been around for many years ranging from 80 to 150hp. It's an APU motor, and a very good one. If you research you'll find a Luscombe 8 which has the 150hp version on it. Fuel consumption is insane of course, but it's all about the DDI (dudes dig it, because most chicks won't give a crap). Can't say I didn't think about it myself.

Take all of this as just information from a random dude that is doing my own version of installing a weirdo engine, and it should not be construed as me bagging on Viking:

If Kitfox doesn't offer a FWF kit for the Viking you should stop using the estimate you have. You should also plan on not asking the McBeans or Petersons any questions about your engine decision. Not because they don't wish you well, but because they won't know the answers and there may be a reason your engine choice isn't in their catalog. If Jan wants to sell engines he needs to provide you engineering support as part of your $15k payment because no one at Kitfox owes you those answers.

Does Jan offer a motor mount for the series 7 Kitfox? Exhaust, oil cooler, throttle cable, fuel pump brackets, hose kits, radiator, engine sensors or cowling? I saw your other post about a carbon cowl. Does Jan offer a cowl or are you just hoping the prop hub is in the exact same spot as a 912-915 cowl (slim chance)? You need to ask Jan about that (if he has a motor mount available). If he doesn't at least have a mount? Take it from me, your transponder which arrives in March will have dust on it before you need it.

Personally I'd like to see someone with a successful Viking install on a Kitox. I've seen them on Zeniths and the owners were very happy. Eric and I both know a guy who went with a different car engine and, well, he's alive but he sold the Kitfox after putting a 912iS on it.

Great build, great videos. Keep it up.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Oh boy tough decisions. Alex I spoke with Jan and Alysa and they do have the complete firewall fwd kits for the Kitfox 7 including the mount, cowling, prop and spinner. The harnesses are not spliced with dual ECU's. As far as traditional power goes an opposed engine it's a grand idea back in 1947 which needed dual ignition because honestly the ignition systems weren't the best and still had one carb. but an inline engine not only runs smoother but last a lot longer. Now as far as a manufacturer of engines Honda probably produces more engines in a year than Lyc or Cont. produced in a lifetime. I'm going to take a closer look at these engines personally because old isn't always better and if I recall correctly these are experimental aircraft. If you need A TSO'D engine or can't think outside the box then buy a Cessna.

Closer to 1927 but who's keeping track, eh? For what it's worth, a good chunk of my logbook is flying round engine dinosaurs and I've never lost a mag or even fouled a plug.

That's great news that Viking has a FWF kit. Is that part of the $15k or in addition to?

To be clear I have no issue with putting the E in experimental, nor the use of a car engine. In Nate's plane the issue was the installation, as engineered by the company that sold it to him. His (not a Viking) engine mount needed re-engineering, the radiator and oil cooler mounts were a constant headache resulting in two emergency landings (one with oil all over the windshield) and he did have an engine shutdown because of a reluctor issue (single point failure of the crank position sensor). Thankfully that happened during run up.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

The FWF kit is in addition to the eng for a total of around 22k. I'm still on the fence between a Lyc., Rotax or this Viking. I'v been a mechanic for 37 yrs in aviation and all have their pro's and con's. I love the Lyc. but I feel that there may be a change in the air. If I recall correctly Rotax had a 500 hr TBO on the 912's then a 1000 and which which is still 1500 on the 912ULS and now 2000 on the 912IS. Also for the Honda motor if the crank sensor fails it backs up to the cam sensor the fuel and ignition timing. With the four coil packs I would consider it worthy of being redundant as well because if one does go out then you still have 75% of your full power to land safely. It's a different avenue as far as a power plant goes and am not confident this would be suitable for an individual that doesn't know too much about automotive engines much less and aircraft eng. including a turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by frank603 View Post
    ... If I recall correctly Rotax had a 500 hr TBO on the 912's then a 1000 and which which is still 1500 on the 912ULS and now 2000 on the 912IS....

FYI - The TBO on the 912ULS has been 2000 hrs. now for quite a few years.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I enjoy your videos!

-Michael

Hello Michael, thanks for the e-mail. I’ve heard some mention about this wing sweep you discuss, since I got the factory wing package I wonder if that is why I don’t know about it since the sweep has already been built into mine?

I am interested to see how well the engine will do in the plane, but I think things will be just fine. I saw the video of John M. Flying the 7STi with the big Titan engine in there and that has to weigh much more than the Rotax I’m guessing. I appreciate you watching the videos and am glad you like them. Hopefully they are getting better as I learn more about editing… that is harder than building the plane. Have a great day, Matt
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber

Hello everyone & welcome back to the channel. In this vid I’ll be making a slight modification to the floorboards since I overlooked a small obstacle. When I fitted them & match drilled them, the center console wasn’t in the plane. After putting in the center console then attempting to install the floorboards they hit on both pilot & copilot side. So I’lll cut them, sand & put on the final coat of EV 400 & this time use the thinning agent that I should have used the first time. Enjoy & thanks for watching.
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I'm posting this here because it wouldn't fit in a youtube comment.

Great build, great videos. Keep it up.
    Hello Alex and thanks for the post. I too hope that turbaero has some success. I would imagine that anything that has to deal with the FAA and the European equivalent will in fact take a long time. I like to see that someone is working on it though, it is way overdue.

I’m going to have to go and check out the Solar T62. So many things one doesn’t know is out there until experienced people like you bring them up.

I did have not asked Viking yet for a FWF estimate yet & I only stuck with that estimate from KitFox as I believe it will be more expensive than that from Viking and I keep underestimating things so I thought better high and be surprised than to be upset each time.

I don’t like to assume, however in this instance I’m going to do since in my response from Alissa she said they have a KitFox Model 6/7 on floats running their engine and I told her I have a model 7. She then recommended the 150. I will call them when I get home to get all those other answers that you have asked. They do offer a FWF kit they only do fiberglass cowlnings at the moment and I would really like a carbon fiber cowl.

If all of this is not available and ready well before March of next year I’ll more than likely just go with the Rotax to keep things simple. I have enough on my plate just building let alone looking for engineering help.

There is another guy in here “Flyingsnowdog” who has one in his kit. Look for the post “Viking Fox takes to the sky.”

Thanks again for the inputs & comments on the videos Alex. have a great day,

Matt

KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber