Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Elevator Binding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Elevator Binding

Don't worry, it's not all like this. The only other area you may get frustrated is getting free rotation on the brake/rudder pedal assembly; oh, and maybe the delrin block for the control stick assembly. In all these areas it is usually the powder coating causing the problems.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Elevator Binding

A big thank you to everyone who replied to my questions regarding the Elevator/Stabilizer hinge issues. Yesterday, after a few weeks of experimenting, head scratching, emails to the factory, and research we met with success! Things most helpful steps were 1) bending the elevator spar in two different directions, 2) filing down the stabilizer weldments to fit between the elevator tabs, 3) sanding and polishing the steel bushings down to a fine shine and 4) using motorcycle oil (what we had on hand) to temporarily lightly lube the weldments.

The advice Pushboy gave regarding the factory recommendation to focus on the elevator range of 40 degrees up and 20 degrees down was the most helpful. That made a lot of sense since the range of motion in the elevator when installed will not need to go further.

I am new to forums and this is my first post. Thank you all for your patience and also your kind and thoughtful answers.

The first attatched photo is one of the simple platform we built to hold the elevator/Stab off the table while I put the ribs on next. I saw this on Swiftfox’s videos and would like to thank him for this good idea! The stuffed fox is a gift from my husband, given to me when the fuselage arrived. Her name is, “Kit.”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oregonfox; 12-01-2023 at 09:36 AM.