Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: To buy or not to buy??

Default To buy or not to buy??

I'm new to the community and was wondering if I could get some advice . I am an A&P and looking at purchasing a kitplane. For the past year or so, I have looked at nothing but Vans Aircraft (RV-9/A or RV-12) . I'm not familiar with Kitfox to be honest, except for what I have read from others and from the website. I really like the 9/A, but I'm also interested in the Kitfox S7 super sport series kits. Just wondering if anyone has some "experienced" advice to give me here. Most of my flying will be with my wife or a friends here and there. The occasional cross country will also be flown, but nothing too long.

Default Re: To buy or not to buy??

You might want to go read some of the trip reports, destination reports, and kitfox of the month reports, it sould give you some ideas of the performance and capabilities.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

See also the thread KF vs RV12 little over a dozen topics down the list.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1193
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I've been getting a few hours in a RV-9A in prepartion for getting my brother and my RV-9A flying, so don't have much time in the Vans. I have about 100 hours in Kitfoxes and can tell you for just fun flying the Kitfox wins by a long shot. (IMHO). With the Kitfox you don't have to worry about switching tanks, carb heat, or even flaps (I land about half the time with flaps, half without). If you got gas, and all the guages are in the green, just fly. Obviously if you are going long distances go with the RV. You didn't say if buying a complete airplane or Kit. If kit (again IMHO) the Kitfox manual/plans are far superior and the packaging of the parts are far superior. I know Van's has gone to a similar system as Kitfox on the manuals for the RV-8 and RV-10. Haven't seen the plans on the 12. Also if building any RV except the 12 you will need plenty of extra hands. I built my Kitfox mostly without help in the shop. Having said that I am looking forward to flying the 9.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I have a kitfox and an RV7A. Hands down the kitfox is a hoot to fly low and slow. Not that I don't low and slow with the RV, I do all the time. You can't beat the RV for comfort and speed. I can almost land the RV short just like the kitfox but I need Flaps to do it. I would try to fly both if you could, or do what I did and have both.