Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alternate Air Supply For Fuel Injection

Default Alternate Air Supply For Fuel Injection

Is there a thread for how people have made a alternate air intake source for fuel injection as its a required item for final inspection in Canada.

Default Re: Alternate Air Supply For Fuel Injection

Ken,

A good idea to identify the type of engine you are talking about because the answers will likely be different.

FYI - if you have the Rotax fuel injected engine, I believe Rotax MAY have an induction airbox designed for their FI engine which provides a bowden cable controlled alternate air option under the cowl. Worth a check with a rotax dealer.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Ken,

A good idea to identify the type of engine you are talking about because the answers will likely be different.

FYI - if you have the Rotax fuel injected engine, I believe Rotax MAY have an induction airbox designed for their FI engine which provides a bowden cable controlled alternate air option under the cowl. Worth a check with a rotax dealer.
    I have the Rotax Edge EP912 STI with fuel injection and turbo. A friend sent me a pic of a air filter that looks like K&N with the end that is normally closed and flat having a butterfly valve that can be opened for emergency alternate air intake. I can add the pic later but its from Revmaster Aviation in Hesperia California. Its something that would work, just might have to attach to turbo inlet with a 90 because of cowling room. Is this needed in USA to pass inspection...it is a requirement in Canada to pass inspection.

Ken,

There is no blanket requirement for alternate air in the US for experimentals. That is left up to the manufacturer, meaning the builder.

Agreed, your biggest challenge might be room under the cowl and the need to design a one off alt air for the Edge modifications.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Pics from Revmaster aviation