Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Can I buy a Kitfox kit in parts?

Default Can I buy a Kitfox kit in parts?

Hello everyone,

New member here who wants to build a Kitfox S7 STi.

CONTEXT:

No experience flying (except for PC simulator games) or building aircraft, but flying is something that I always wanted to do. Who hasn't? Thinking of getting the PPL concurrently as I build by renting an airplane, or get the PPL afterwards using the completed project.

No experience fixing aircraft except being a National Guard aircraft mechanic with only the required training completed, with no actual aircraft repair experience. Those who know, know that this cannot be compared to an FAA A&P license at all. The Army training just gives you a very short introduction to using tools and how to read the manual, and then you're supposed to learn while on the job, under supervision.

I've decided to build instead of buying, so I can do my own annual inspections, do my own repairs, do upgrades myself when I can afford, and be intimately familiar with the aircraft. I maintain my own cars, so if it's anything comparable, I think doing things myself is very cost effective in the long term.

I've chosen Kitfox because of the features. Folding wings so I can put it in a trailer and keep it with me. Also the ability to change from tailwheel to nosewheeel, add floats, add a BRS. STi to fly low and slow and look at the scenery, and land and takeoff in backcountry.

SUBJECT:

When I go to the website and look at the brochure, there is a a price tag for the complete S7 STi Firewall Back Kit. It also says that the kit includes the Fuselage Kit, Wing Kit, Landing Gear Kit, Covering Kit and Rib Lacing Kit, and powder coating. But there are no price tags given for these sub-kits.

My question is, can I buy these sub-kits one by one as I can afford them? I cannot afford the whole kit right now with the other life plans I have, but I would like to get started on this project as soon as I can.

Some concerns that come to mind are, S7 being discontinued while I'm in the middle of my project, extra shipping costs, extra powder coating costs etc.

Financing the whole kit is an option, if that is possible. But not preferable, because I don't like being in debt. Just a personal preference.

I thought I'd ask to see if others have done this, before directly asking Kitfox.

Thanks.
    Last edited by eric948470; 04-02-2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: change title to better fit subject

Default Re: Can I buy a Kitfox kit in parts?

Hey I'm down in Kingston if you ever wanna take a ride in my 4!

I actually asked about this same thing last year (I called John at Kitfox and asked), his answer was essentially no. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would be so much more expensive and much more of a hassle to do it that they highly discouraged it. (He can correct me on this if I misspoke)

1. Shipping all the kits separately would cost thousands every time you shipped compared to just once. Almost everything is shipped freight.
    2. The wings would not be prerigged to the fuselage because they would be separate.
    3. It wouldnt save much time as far as lead times because almost everything is backed up in production except for small things.

Hope this answers your question!
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson

Kitfox Aircraft used to sell sub kits individually. A quick call to the factory will get you all the answers you posed. Several builders in the not to distant past have purchased this way. Shipping anything today is expensive so full kit purchase will be the prudent way to reduce this expense considerably.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I ordered the fuselage and wings at separate times. This was a couple of years ago or so and the lead time back then was around 10 months for the fuselage only. And yes I had to pay a few thousand extra dollars for freight when my wings were ready to be shipped. Not sure if this is still offered or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I know you're asking about sub-kits but I've placed at least a dozen orders for individual parts from the factory. You could order the entire airplane one part at a time if you really want to.

Rest assured, the shipping costs on small orders placed over time will cost FAR more than the interest you'll pay financing the kit. Just thinking about parts like spars, stringers, horizontal stab, elevator, rudder, flaperons, boot cowl, cowl, firewall, windshield with skylight, Grove gear. Brrrr!

I bet the difference in shipping costs between just a fuselage and the entire kit wouldn't buy a steak dinner.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks for the answers everyone. Sorry for the late replay. I've been very busy and actually forgot about this thread. I've decided to buy the whole airplane as a kit.

Thanks for the offer MikeMarkota. I might take that on if I ever get some free time.