Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ignition switch turns off engine?

Default Ignition switch turns off engine?

I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. I have the original ignition switch that came with my circa '94 kit. Looks like a good quality switch so I used it. Wired it as per the Firewall forward instructions instructed. Engine starts and runs fine. I can turn off the ignition switches and the engine stops. Or.....I can simply turn off the keyed ignition switch and the engine stops, like a car.

Is this normal?

There are 2 Mag connectors on the back of the ignition switch that are wired in to the circuit, so electrically, I can see how it works but on other planes ( and my KF 4), a person can turn off the ignition switch and the engine continues running until the ignition toggle switches are turned off.

Default Re: Ignition switch turns off engine?

. . . and what kind of engine do you have?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

On the 912, if you ground the kill wires coming out of the ignition modules, the engine dies. Your ignition switches must be running back though your keyed switch, so that either one can ground it out. If you want the keyed switch for the starter and security, I would run the ignition switches to ground and not to that keyed switch. As it is now, you have two things that can fail, and either one will kill the engine. On my Kitfox, I have a key switch for starter, but the toggle switches for the mags are seperate from it. JImChuk

Sorry.....newer 912uls

Thanks Jim. The more I have pondered on this, and with your thoughts, I think I'll figure out a way to take the ignition switch out of the ignition circuit. I agree with eliminating one of the 2 points of failure. I have seen several ignition switches fail.

I do find it strange that it would be wired up this way to begin with, and the fact that there are 2 terminals on the ignition switch for "mag" so the ignition switch could be used as the primary means of grounding the mags. Doesn't make sense to use the ignition switch AND the toggle switches. It is NOT one of the "Left" "Right" "Both" switches either.