Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to prevent cracked muffler on 912uls

Default Re: How to prevent cracked muffler on 912uls

this is awesome to hear. I STRONGLY suggest avoiding the innovate motor sports AFR gauge. I’ve killed 3 in just this tuning event - even my wife was looking at me asking WTH I was doing because there is no way 3 die in the same fashion only in my hands. Well… I returned it and the gentleman behind the counter told me he was getting a lot of these returned. Take that for what you will. I went with the AEM unit and it was actually 6 bucks cheaper and didn’t have a single issue during yesterdays almost 4 hours of flying / engine time.

That's great feedback - the AEM unit has been on my buy list for a few days now.

Since losing my exhaust stinger I’ve been hunting the culprit hiding behind the scenes. Some felt that it was most likely engine vibration while others leaned towards the hole in the cowling was too small and startups and/or shutdown shakes caused the stinger to hit the cowl and caused the breakup of a fine marriage. I leaned towards the vibration theory as there was plenty of evidence supporting the same but outside the scope of this report.

While waiting for delivery of a new muffler, Nickolas’ postings on managing air fuel mixture conditions caught my attention as mixtures on the extreme edges of acceptability will often cause vibration.

Once the muffler arrived an AFR gage was installed and I found the only adjustment needed was at idle and a new and improved idle was noticeable.

I next attempted to see if there was any way to get a feel for the “exhaust pipe hitting the cowl” theory and the best I could come up with was the trusted blue tape approach seen here:

Exhaust pipe not touching.jpg

After no fewer than 50 start-and-stops (from a fairly wide range of rpm’s) the pipe has yet to make a mark on the tape and the clearance is about ½ of the original clearance.

On to the vibration theory - and here’s where the report gets interesting.

Background: after about 10 (original) hours on the plane, I attempted to balance the prop/engine but couldn’t do better than its original set up. Meaning: no added weight except for the dynamic balancer. BUT – my attempt to balance was performed at 4,000 RPM only and the results were for the most part unrepeatable, run-to-run.

Now, with the loss of the stinger my attention was more focused and I started over again. A base line run was made with the original set up – with the still installed dynamic balancer and spinner and runs were made at 2,000, 2,500, 3,000, 3,500 and 4,000 rpm. Then the same runs were made with the spinner removed (remember, zero additional weight). Next, following the DynaVibe instructions, I balanced the engine/prop to a fairly respectable level. All in all, the results looked like:

First prop balance run.png

Clearly, my label of “respectable” is for the higher rpm’s in the runs following the baseline runs. Nothing I did would eliminate the weird waviness and I started thinking the dynamic balancer may not be up to the task. So off it came.

Tests and set ups were rerun at the same data points and it became clear that something is still happening at 3000 rpm (about 1200 at the prop) but all of the traces show a respectable amount of similarity. (I stopped after run 8 when noticing how it was starting to flatten out across the tested rpm range.)

Finally, a flight was made and the results are presented here on the same graph.

Second prop balance run.png

Bottom line, I’m more convinced 1. that it was vibration that caused my issue, 2. the dynamic balancer influenced my vibration survey (favorably) quite a bit but not enough, 3. the dynamic balancer has its own set of issues, and, 4. I’m going to check propeller balance at each condition inspection. BTW, the very minor vibration I used to feel in the pedals is now gone.

Oh yeah, any and all reasonable offers for a slightly used dynamic balancer will be kindly received; the highest bidder will be notified of acceptance NLT 1200 noon this coming Monday.

this is outstanding news to hear that yet another person has seen drastic improvements as a result of the AFR tuning process. Thank you for reporting your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I have a new, unused exhaust system for a 912UL/ULS, including down-pipes with cylinder flanges and muffler with welded-on stinger. It dates from 1995. No springs or other hardware. I'd take $775 plus shipping. Not interesting in parting it out.
    Do you still have this? I’m looking for an exhaust for my 4-1200 round cowl w 912uls

PM sent...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

The other day I pulled my cowl off on the Kitfox 4 and look what I found. A little bit of fabing up some support pieces, a trip to the welder and $50 and it was all good again. Probably for good this time with the bracing. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    The other day I pulled my cowl off on the Kitfox 4 and look what I found. A little bit of fabing up some support pieces, a trip to the welder and $50 and it was all good again. Probably for good this time with the bracing. JImChuk
    good thing you found it before the stinger decided to detach in flight. Keep your eyes on the corners of those welds for a while. Typically welds round a corner in an effort to reduce the stress concentration at the weld interface.

check your gearbox. static should not fall under 300. just rebuilt my box it was about 250. now it is smooth on shut down and start up. that will crack your exhaust right now.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop