Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Incidence

Default Re: Wing Incidence

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    Hey Tom Jones,

It was snowy in Georgia (big deal here) on Saturday but I did get those measurements. They are pretty close to what you mentioned.

From the top of the front wing attach to the "flat" of the front float attach fitting is 39 1/16".

From the top of the rear with attach to the "flat" of the strut attach fitting is 38 11/16".

Mark
    Thanks Mark. I would venture given my crude measuring technique that there has been no change in the position of the Classic 4 wing attach lugs.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

given that it was said that the points looked different compared to other kitfox's,.. especially the rear wing connect points ,...if you question the positions I would seriously check with John McBean on the exact postions of the wing connect points,..especially if the kit was pre owned by another ,..the pre owner might have been building a glider tow plane using a kitfox kit ,..or hang glider tow plane ,..this could explain a change in the wing incidence.
    If it has been changed ..all written performances of the wing would be null.

but if a "crude way of measuring " gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the connect point positions ,.or AOA ,..don't sweat it

I personally would certainly check with John if I had any doubts

Chase

Photo of the rear wing attachment from my KF 3 and the ~2003 KF 4. It is much lower in this area than a model III and an ~1993 vintage IV I looked at for comparison.

Also, the tubes in this whole area and around the door are larger. The fuse is notably heavier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A better way to know if the incidence really is different would be to put a straight edge across the top of the horizontal stabilizer, letting it extend all the way to the front of the door along the side of the fuselage. Then measure the distance between the bottom of the frt and rear wing attach pins and the straight edge. That would be the best way to know the true incidence numbers between any of the various kitfoxes. Of course you do have to take into account that you can adjust the horizontal stabilizer with the extra holes in the front attach bracket in the tail.

I'm not sure how much the 3 and 4 are different, but I'm pretty certain you will find a big difference between the model 2 and the Model 4.

It would be very interesting to see how different all the models would compare. And yes, this would be easiest to do if you had the original jigs to measure for all the various model fuselages, but I'm not sure they even exist anymore?

Paul S

for the individual aircraft av8rps that is a good way to check the AOA of the horizontal stab ,..because the leading edge of the horizontal stab can be placed in different locations depending on desired cruise speeds and weights of different motor/prop configurations,..

Chase