Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 914 odd occurrence

Default 914 odd occurrence

I just got my new 914 running. On my second flight after landing and taxiing in the engine started running rough. When I tried to add throttle no response. When I pulled it back to idle it quit. I got out and found some fuel dripping out of the back of the cowling. I let it sit a minute then tried to start it with the fuel pumps off. After a couple tries it started and I was able to taxi back to my hangar. These are brand new carbs. Before I installed the carbs I checked the floats for proper weight and they were right on spec. Wonder why they flooded out after landing?

Default Re: 914 odd occurrence

Quote Originally Posted by cposer View Post
    Before I installed the carbs I checked the floats for proper weight and they were right on spec. Wonder why they flooded out after landing?
    Do you have a fuel return line with restrictor installed? If the fuel pressure is slightly to high the jostling while taxing can pop the needles of the seats causing the carb bowls to overfill and flood the engine.

I don't think there is a fuel line restrictor in the return line. It is a 5/16" hose from the regulator to the firewall and a 3/8' hose from the inside of the firewall to the header tank.

You may want to do a search on fuel return lines here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cposer View Post
    I don't think there is a fuel line restrictor in the return line. It is a 5/16" hose from the regulator to the firewall and a 3/8' hose from the inside of the firewall to the header tank.
    It sounds like you may be describing your main fuel line, not a “return” line. As far as restrictors on the return line go, for quite a few years now there is one built into the fuel distribution fitting that’s clamped to the carburetor balance tube. You would generally use 1/4” hose for that line. You also need a check valve on that line to prevent backwards flow into that fitting. This would usually be installed close to the header tank if that’s where your return line goes.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime