Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 582 In a fox kit 2 kit 1989

Default Rotax 582 In a fox kit 2 kit 1989

Engine has never been run & I am concerned about the engine’s condition. Should I have it overhaul or buy another suitable engine?

Default Re: Rotax 582 In a fox kit 2 kit 1989

A few years ago, I bought an unfinished Kitfox 3 project. It had a never run 582 with it, probably from the early 1990s. I had a local shop go through the engine for me, and they found the assembly grease on the bearings had all dried out, and they felt that the engine probably wouldn't have lasted long if I had just ran it as is. They cleaned it up, and I ended up selling it to someone else. I never heard of any problems with it. The engine had a C gear box on it as well, I removed it before I took the engine to the shop. The large bearing on the prop shaft felt rough, so I sent the gearbox to Airscrew performance, as I didn't have the right puller. It turned out to be just like the engine, no problem, other than the assembly grease was all dried out. If I had your engine, I would have it torn down. Maybe easier for me, this local shop has done probably a dozen engines for me and close friends and I trust them. They are also cheaper than a certified rotax repair shop and I don't have to ship the engines. JImChuk

I would say it should at least be disassembled and inspected. Depending on how it was stored it may be fine or it may be junk. The 582 is a pretty simple engine. I just got one running that had been sitting at least 7 or 8 years. Had bad end seals but internally was very good. I won't say you can do it yourself, because that depends on how mechanically inclined you are, but I did my engine myself and it was not a problem, but I have been working on engines including 2-strokes for many years in snowmobiles, boats, cars, etc.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Thanks for your reply. Would you provide contact info for Airscrew & engine shop.

Thanks for info on the transmission shop. Could I get the contact info on who did you engine?

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    I would say it should at least be disassembled and inspected. Depending on how it was stored it may be fine or it may be junk. The 582 is a pretty simple engine. I just got one running that had been sitting at least 7 or 8 years. Had bad end seals but internally was very good. I won't say you can do it yourself, because that depends on how mechanically inclined you are, but I did my engine myself and it was not a problem, but I have been working on engines including 2-strokes for many years in snowmobiles, boats, cars, etc.
    I noticed that Rotax is quit manufacturing the 582. Where do/will we get the parts we need for this engine in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Jones View Post
    Thanks for info on the transmission shop. Could I get the contact info on who did you engine?
    Just to be clear, Airscrew performance does all sorts of Rotax repairs, not just gearboxes. I'll send you a private message to answer your other question.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Jones View Post
    I noticed that Rotax is quit manufacturing the 582. Where do/will we get the parts we need for this engine in the future?
    Rotax said that parts will be available for 10 years after production ends.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)