Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lets Talk Wing Tip Landing Lights

Default Lets Talk Wing Tip Landing Lights

I just got new wingtips from Kitfox with provisions for landing lights built into them. I like the idea of wig-wags but I also would like good lighting for night flying. I know the Microsun line is popular but from my reading they aren't super bright for night landings and it looks like mounting them on an angle for a taildragger may pose a problem. What does the TeamKitfox forum have to offer advise wise?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Default Re: Lets Talk Wing Tip Landing Lights

The Microsuns are bright enough. I have both of mine mounted straight ahead. With 22" tires in tailwheel configuration they point up as you can imagine. It would be incredibly simple to angle one of them down by just adding something like a washer or two under the top two mounting tabs. Or fabricate a plate that is wedge shape. It would take so little to bring the light down to the proper angle for taxi. As for my current landings at 30min after sunset, I don't see light on the runway until nearly threshold but again it isn't pitch dark out and It lights up the runway in good enough time for me. If I wanted I could angle one down a bit. It would be easy to accomplish. The taxiway is illuminated well enough for me at dawn and it only seems improved as it gets darker so I have just left mine alone.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have bought these very bright, 4500 lumen and fit the wing tips, I got the double ones all the bracket come off, I will be using the forward screws and a mounting plate just like you do on the Vans wing tips, I paid £35 approx $45. The only down side is the weight 8oz each that's twice the Aeroleds.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Paul.
    Last edited by P Johnson; 02-07-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks all! Microsun it is.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Nice decision. I'll consider you a patriot. You won't regret it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I will be installing the Aeroled nav lights, they are really impressive on my friends aircraft.