Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STI Kitfox Deadstick

Default STI Kitfox Deadstick

Well.....I had a deadstick landing. Actually two! Fortunately by choice. On our recent adventures to IBEX lakebed, I decided to climb up and shutdown the engine. I got on downwind and at 1000' agl and pulled power to idle and then setup for 65mph glide. Shut off ignition and then fuel pump. Crazy as there was no indication I had no power other than a low fuel cas message. If I hadn't shut the full pump off I would have no indication of no power if I tried to go around. Thinking of programming a low range on my EGT's to alert me on a long descend that things have gone cold. With my 3 blade 79" prop windmilling there is significant drag and glide ratio is very poor. I was seeing 1100' fpm decent rate with a very steep deck angle. Airspeed bled fairly fast on flare and landing. Decided to try again and see what it feels like if I can get the prop to stop. Climbed back up and shut things down again. This time I slowed to almost stall to get the prop to stop. Then pitched for best glide. Best glide I saw about 800fpm decent. 65mph I don't think is best glide for the STI. Very suprised how different it feels with prop stopped. Prop was causing buffing on the tail from what I am assuming is the turbulent air coming off the prop. Glide ratio improved significant with prop stopped. Saw 800fpm decent with prop stopped. I want to go back to the lake bed and test best glide, but I am guessing its closer to 60mph in the STI. Learned lots, but am interested to go back and practice some more.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: STI Kitfox Deadstick

Very cool. Sounds like an awesome challenge and educational too. Let me know when you head backā€¦ might be able to meet up.

Dustin
    I don't recall you ever mentioning what happens at 2000ft with regard to the G3X safety function. If you ignore the alert for you to take over the flying chore during an engine out, what happens? I just updated to 9.0 but I am disassembled for my inspection so I have not flown yet.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I've always wondered how the KF really performs with the engine out. I've practiced the impossible turn from 500 ft agl and could
    make it if I put the nose down and started the turn immediately but that is with the engine at idle. If the engine was really out I
    wonder if I would make it. It would be interesting to set up some cones and try it from 500 ft agl with the engine off and see if
    you can make it. It may be that the engine at idle is performs worse than the engine and prop stopped.

The dry lake bed opens up many opportunities for testing!

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

The impossible turn is not so impossible at all in the Kitfox. Use the procedures from Brian Schiff (google him ) to get your baseline altitude to start from . Mine is 500 ' although if conditions are right I can lower that to 400.'. Practice at altitude over a road for your simulated runway. On every single takeoff you make your last checklist item should be what am I going to do if the engine fails-there should be no such thing as a surprise engine failure. An immediate and decisive pitch down and a 45 deg bank turn into the wind if its a crosswind and its very doable. The key is practicing this manuver on a regular basis and not being taken by surprise when it really happens. I do these to a deadstick landing (eng idle) and find that i am high most of the time and a hard slip is required to get down. Of course there can be some factors like a short runway and strong headwind that might not make it possible to get down in time, so have a plan before you blast off. Know thy airplane and what it can do! Bruce N199CL

I did a few impossible turn flights following the EAA's procedures/instructions, sent in the data files, and all turned out well. Said turn is relatively easy to compete in the Kitfox. Their final analysis/report is attached. Oh, never mind, the size of the file exceeds the allowable by about .1 Mb. PM me if you would like a copy. Don't forget to include your email address.

I had 2 engine failures on takeoff test flying a friends model4/1050/short wing. The 1st was at a grass strip, surrounded with woods. It was pretty much a total loss of power. RPM's dropped back to a rough idle. I doubt I ever got higher than 400 feet agl. I turned left after takeoff to stay in the pattern. When the engine started to die I stayed in a left turn, flew over the runway still making a left circle and landed with plenty of room to spare. I actually landed pretty long.
    It's a 3800' strip. The second time I asked the owner to haul it to the airport with a 6000' runway so I would have plenty of space just in case. Good thing we did. This time it started to loose power within the 1st 100 feet or so. I doubt I ever climbed more than 200 feet before the engine died completely. I made a left turn and landed again with plenty of room to spare. I don't credit myself for the good outcome as much as I do the Kitfox. It flew just as good with the engine off. I think one thing that helped is that I always cut power back to idle on downwind and fly base and final at idle, which is pretty much dead stick every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrthomas View Post
    I had 2 engine failures on takeoff test flying a friends model4/1050/short wing. The 1st was at a grass strip, surrounded with woods. It was pretty much a total loss of power. RPM's dropped back to a rough idle. I doubt I ever got higher than 400 feet agl. I turned left after takeoff to stay in the pattern. When the engine started to die I stayed in a left turn, flew over the runway still making a left circle and landed with plenty of room to spare. I actually landed pretty long.
    It's a 3800' strip. The second time I asked the owner to haul it to the airport with a 6000' runway so I would have plenty of space just in case. Good thing we did. This time it started to loose power within the 1st 100 feet or so. I doubt I ever climbed more than 200 feet before the engine died completely. I made a left turn and landed again with plenty of room to spare. I don't credit myself for the good outcome as much as I do the Kitfox. It flew just as good with the engine off. I think one thing that helped is that I always cut power back to idle on downwind and fly base and final at idle, which is pretty much dead stick every time.
    Yes the kitfox will fly just fine if the engine still can produce power at idle like you had. Now if the engine quits totally that is another thing. I had a happening about 4 years ago now, my engine quit because of a blocked vent. I was at 1000 agl and I looked down and saw a big field and spiraled down and landed in the field. Well I kept it at 90mph all the way down and lined up and went to 3 ft off. I bled it off to 60 and the plane just dropped onto the field. I was very glad I had 27.5 tires and the t3 with 8 inch matco double arm. I was very surprised that I didn't have any float like when normally coming in to land with the engine on. It just dropped right now. Now I will say that I had in my mind to be very weary of this happening, never had a chance to witness it until then but I will say, give yourself a bunch of margin when the engine quits. take care.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Eddie depends on if you press and hold the direct button or press and hold the nearest button. If you have pressed and held the direct button above 2000' agl smart glide will activate and so will the autopilot. When you pass through 2000' you get audio warning telling you to disconnect autopilot and land safely. Keeps saying that but you have to manually disconnect the autopilot. If there are no airports in gliding distance, then autopilot will activate only for pitch and pitch to best glide.

Biggest takeaway for me is practicing a engine out with power to idle is significantly different glide ratio than with the engine off.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-12-2022 at 05:19 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks Dustin
    I flew for the first time in five weeks and forgot to try the thing out for myself.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X