Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stratux dual band ADS-B receiver?

Default Stratux dual band ADS-B receiver?

Anybody using a Stratux dual band ADS-B receiver with Foreflight? Any recomendations on which tablet to use?

https://crewdogelectronics.com/catal...-external-gps/

Default Re: Stratux dual band ADS-B receiver?

I use an iPad pro with zero complaints. I do believe that most every airline in the US used iPads. You do need to be careful about it overheating. If that happens it could be while before you get your functionality back. I have zero experience with the Surface Pro or any of the other tablets.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I’ve been using Stratux with ForeFlight (iPad) and Avare (android) for years. Stratux works well with both platforms. It is reliable and parts are readily available for repair……I fried a motherboard once….Stratux doesn’t like water, for whatever reason. You can power it with a battery or plug it into a USB…ie. cigarette lighter with an adapter.

it is a cost effective way to receive ADSB…….you’ll love it!
    Last edited by Russell320; 01-21-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

I am also using a Stratux ADSB mounted in the right side wing root and connected to an iPad mini. I have a flush mount cradle for the mini in my panel. The cradle is made by Guardian (model iFDR) and it has a port to hook up a small air blower that supplies cooling air to eliminate the possible overheating issue. They sell the blower too, which I bought and mounted behind the panel. I can easily remove the iPad and use it for other things when I'm not flying. I also put a special non-glare screen protector on the iPad ($50) and it works great to cut the glare. The picture below shows the glare before I put the anti-glare screen protector on and it cuts the glare totally. I love this whole set up because it all works so nice. I also like the iPad mini size because it works good with a knee board if you don't want to mount it on the panel. One thing to note about iPads is that they need a charger with at least 2.4 amps capacity. The normal chargers for Apple products are less amps and not enough to charge the unit while using it in the air. I got an Anker brand USB adapter that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket that I have mounted behind the panel. I chose that brand because they supply the right amperage and they don't seem to have radio interference issues like some other brands. I have zero radio interference with this setup.

IMG_8030.jpgIMG_8498.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

I used to play with Stratux a lot, but after I upgraded my airplane to have a Uavionix EchoUAT I noticed
    when comparing the Stratux to the Uavionix that my Stratux was not displaying as many targets as was the
    Uavionix. I then upgraded my Stratux software, AND my usb receivers (Nooelec) and it still did not display
    as many targets as the Uavionix. I run both 1090ES, and UAT receivers. I also played around with several
    antennas.

Until I compared them side by side I thought the Stratux was fine, but afterwards and after trying to
    upgrade the Stratux and make it work as well as the Uavionix I finally gave up on it.

Mileage may vary, but for me the Uavionix just works better. I would not criticize the Stratux becase the
    project that CYoung put together is pretty amazing, BUT it doesn't in my experience work as well.

My iPhone SE 2nd generation never overheats in flight running Foreflight, BUT my iPad mini does overheat
    especially if it is in the sun. I tend to in summer position it so my snapvent blows air at it all the time which
    does mostly solve the problem

Hope that helps.

Jeff

I should also mention that I have run Android with iFly GPS, Avare, Naviator, and FltPlan Go at various
    times and ended up liking Avare the best.

However then I tried Foreflight, and it's so far beyond the Android apps I switched from being a diehard
    Android user to an Apple owner simple because of that one single App ...

All the Android Apps will get you from point A to point B, but Foreflight is a professional grade app,
    and none of the Android apps can really be considered that (in my view anyway)

Jeff

As DesertDave mentioned above, with a few exceptions, most airlines use iPads. I've used one for about a dozen years starting with an iPad 4. Most airlines use a suite of apps that would mostly be unfamiliar to light GA pilots, but I suspect their demands on the hardware are similar to any of the common GA flight planning and navigation apps.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get an iPad, as it's supported by all of the most popular aviation app developers and there are sleeves, screen protectors and cockpit mounting solutions for every model. Once you learn the peculiarities of using an iPad, they're very easy to operate. I highly recommend a matte-finish non-glare screen protector like Birdseyeview mentioned above; the screen can be impossible to see in bright sunlight without it.

If your primary usage will be flying, with mostly aviation-related apps installed, then the cheapest (smallest installed memory) for the model you buy will be perfectly adequate. The only real option to consider is whether you want a cellular data radio. Models with cellular data also have an internal GPS receiver, so that option is required if you won't be feeding it position data from another source via Wi-Fi. You don't have to have a data plan if you don't want that expense, but only "Wi-Fi + Cellular" iPads have a GPS receiver installed.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings