Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Trailing Edge.

Default Elevator Trailing Edge.

Gentlemen,

I received my kit last week and have been busy doing the inventory. I have now started on the horizontal stabiliser and after doing the reaming and inserting the bushings I started sanding the ribs, they are now ready to be glued. On the trailing edge of the elevator a few welds are protruding and will show through the fabric what do you guys do, just leave them or dress them off and apply epoxy primer?

Thank you in advance Paul.

Default Re: Elevator Trailing Edge.

I left the welds on mine. Also you might want to consider varnishing the ribs before bonding them in the structure. I wish I had done it that way because it wasn’t very fun varnishing them after they were installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

No empirical data for this but have read in a couple places where the Hysol isn't applied to varnished surfaces. Has to do with the ability to adhere to surfaces becomes the varnish's capability and not Hysol's. Maybe someone else has some fact to this one but that has been the opinion that I have seen so far.

Enjoy your build!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Yes you can varnish those small areas after they are bonded. It’s just a thought I had after doing my tail section. And if I ever build again I’ll certainly be varnishing the majority of parts before bonding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I am going to varnish the hard to get to places before gluing. Still not sure what to do about the welds.

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    I am going to varnish the hard to get to places before gluing. Still not sure what to do about the welds.

H Paul,

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with filing down weld lumps that stick out above the rest of a nice weld bead. Do it smoothly, and possibly even end up finishing with some fine sand cloth. I have a few ugly lumps & bumps under the fabric that I wish I had eliminated before covering. As you suggested, finish up with a good primer to protect those spots.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    Gentlemen,

I received my kit last week and have been busy doing the inventory. I have now started on the horizontal stabiliser and after doing the reaming and inserting the bushings I started sanding the ribs, they are now ready to be glued. On the trailing edge of the elevator a few welds are protruding and will show through the fabric what do you guys do, just leave them or dress them off and apply epoxy primer?

Thank you in advance Paul.
    I left mine but now wish very much I had filed them down everytime I see them sticking up through the fabric.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I smoothed them down and applied epoxy primer in several places: tail feathers, door frames, fuse. Just be careful in any structural area to finish it off smooth-no stress rising notches or grooves.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I personally wouldn't pre-varnish any areas where you want Hysol to bond to the wood, otherwise the bond is only as good as varnish to wood. Those ribs in the tail feathers have precious little wood area for the Hysol to bond to anyway.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I would love to see a peel test between untreated wood/hysol versus 2-part epoxy varnished wood and hysol. Does such a publication exist?
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912