Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Solder Sleeves

Default Solder Sleeves

I have been toying around with connectors for my panel - still in the planning stage.

There is a cool little gadget called a "solder sleeve" that has a band of solder inside a heat shrink tubing, that facilitates making connections. I have been building Heathkits (Ah, the good old days) for over 50 years, so soldering is easy for me, but the sleeves would help to keep things neat, which is important.

I looked at the Steinair web site where they demonstrate their use. Not surprisingly, they also sell them.

A quick tour through Google, finds a wide array of these connectors from a number of mfrs, both on and off shore.
    There are offerings from firms like TE connectivity (a well known and respected mfr) and Raychem, but these are between $1.00 each and several dollars each. I appreciate that you get what you pay for, and no one wants a problem in-flight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with some of the cheaper brands like Wirefy, Kuject, etc. There are some "review" videos which show that the glue bands on these imports may not hold the wires well, and that the low melting point solder may not permeate the splice.

Any experience, reviews, thoughts would be appreciated

Fred

Default 1

I have used the Sumitomo LC series. They work great and are under $1 each.

FYI the main use for these sleeves is for shielded wires. They are used to connect the drain/grounding wire to the shield braiding. The application of heat solders the wire to the shielding, shrinks the sleeve, and melts the thermal glue to hermetically seal the sleeve, which prevents corrosion down the road. I always tin the ends of the wire with solder before inserting them in the sleeve so that they readily get soldered to the braiding.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: Solder Sleeves

I have also used these many time for shielded wire to connect ground wire. I agree to tin the ground wire before inserting it in to the solder sleeve. As for heat guns I have found a Wagner paint stripper heat gun works very well for this application. I had tried using a RC model heat gun but the heat range just took to long to get hot enough to melt the solder. As you said you are building a plane, in my humble opinion, it’s your life and the passenger you are carrying, you do not need the best just the correct parts. I have found the items I get from SteinAir to be very satisfactory. Enjoy the challenges, learn new skills, be proud of your build, even the parts no one else will see.

Default Re: Solder Sleeves

I tried the Sumitomo sleeves, but did not pre-tin the wires. I had so-so success; many held ok but some were easily pulled off. I gave up and went the conventional solder route. Probably if I pre-tinned my results would have been different.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS