Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sealing tape

Default Sealing tape

Installing my windshield. Looking for "sealing Tape"....

I was thinking about using silicone rescue tape.

anyone every use 3M bodymoulding tape? Like the kind used on the bubble doors?

Default Re: Sealing tape

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Installing my windshield. Looking for "sealing Tape"....

I was thinking about using silicone rescue tape.

anyone every use 3M bodymoulding tape? Like the kind used on the bubble doors?
    Pretty sure rescue tape only sticks to itself.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I thought of using that stuff as well. However, I look at my doors and see where that tape seems to have a very inconsistent adhesion and has allowed dirt, metal filings, lint and whatever else you might find in a shop to slip into the gaps between the tape and the plexi.
    I ended up just using silicone for the boot cowl and windscreen. I assume you will be using the tape along the vertical edges on the left and right side but are inquiring about the mating of the windscreen and the boot cowl. I used sheet metal edging bought at any hardware source. Its just rubber U-channel that was applied to the top edge of the cowl before I installed it. I had a small leak noted during its first bath so I masked off the rubber edging as well as the windscreen and used black silicone to seal up the entire run across that surface. It required so little black silicone to seal it all up that you don't even see it really. Unless you look closely.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I remember seeing someone used a real thin foam tape on the inside of the windshield channels and on top of the capstrips. I am not sure if it's dual adhesive or not but it looks like it was thin and would provide just a bit of cushion. I can't seem to find it.

As far ad the cowl to windshield seal, my circa 95 kit has some rubber trim that I'll probably use or get something similar.

I used clear silicone. Just enough to keep water out (my plane lives outside). In the event I need to remove the boot cowl I plan to just use fishing line in a sawing motion to separate them. No water incursion to date yet.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying