Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shielded wire

Default Shielded wire

Looking for 16-4 shielded wire but can only find UL listed speaker wire anyone have some suggestions.

Default Re: Shielded wire

Just curious what you plan to use it for? There is nothing on a Kitfox I can think of that needs anything like this.

Best practices for any airplanes is to use aircraft wiring, not automotive or other commercially available stuff. There is a big difference in quality.

Aircraft Spruce sells 16-2 shielded wire. If you really need 16 gauge buy two times the length and run 2 sets.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
    Looking for 16-4 shielded wire but can only find UL listed speaker wire anyone have some suggestions.
    Agree with Phil that 16 gauge is kind of an 'in between' size for the Kitfox. BUT....... I would check with these guys.

https://skygeek.com/military-specifi...4t23-wire.html

The link will take you to a page that says it's 2 conductor but the part number is for 4 conductor. I have had this issue when using them. They have wire but the description is often in error. If you just order from the description and not the part number you can get the wrong wire.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Just curious what you plan to use it for? There is nothing on a Kitfox I can think of that needs anything like this.

Best practices for any airplanes is to use aircraft wiring, not automotive or other commercially available stuff. There is a big difference in quality.

Aircraft Spruce sells 16-2 shielded wire. If you really need 16 gauge buy two times the length and run 2 sets.
    Thanks for the reply, I’m installing AeroLed nav w/ strobes that have four wires. Per Aero these need a 10 amp breaker, looking at a ampacity chart 16 ga. is even light for that long of a run. Also installing Dynon glass avionics and they recommend using shielded wire to reduce feed back from pulsing loads. The magnetometer will be installed at the wing tip, nav/ strobe and magnetometer wiring will both run down the rear spar to the tip that’s why I was looking for 16/4, I had thought of running two 16/2 runs but while trying to find 16/4 I kept coming across the 16/4 speaker wire that is high quality wire and is also used in 12 volt systems. Like yourself I always want to use aircraft quality material, but many of the things used in experimental aircraft are not certified but are safe to use. That’s why I threw it out there to see if anyone had any information about non Mil spec. wire. Let me know if I’m missing something here.

I spoke with tech support at aero LED a few weeks ago and he told me to use 20 gauge for the wing tip lights. He mentioned that larger wire would be needed for a longer run but the short run in a kitfox wouldn’t be any problem. I still haven’t ordered the wire yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Quote Originally Posted by Benbell4140 View Post
    I spoke with tech support at aero LED a few weeks ago and he told me to use 20 gauge for the wing tip lights. He mentioned that larger wire would be needed for a longer run but the short run in a kitfox wouldn’t be any problem. I still haven’t ordered the wire yet.
    That sounds good and it's right from the horse's mouth.

I am going to run the numbers again for my plane because I upgraded to AeroLed Pulsar NSP lights.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

I just measured our 7 and my run will be about 24' I was originally guessing that it would be close to 28'+. I plugged that into the calculator and we can get away with 18 Ga. accepting a 10% voltage drop. looks like 20Ga. would be a little small. That's just me being cautious. Attached is a screen shot of the calculator image.WireSizeCalc.jpg

I just measured our 7 and my run will be about 24' I was originally guessing that it would be close to 28'+. I plugged that into the calculator and we can get away with 18 Ga. accepting a 10% voltage drop. looks like 20Ga. would be a little small. That's just me being cautious. Attached is a screen shot of the calculator image.WireSizeCalc.jpg
    Thanks.. better to be a little on the big side than small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Post Re: Shielded wire

Only one problem, you are using the current for both strobe lights. There are separate wires going to the Lt. and Rt. strobes. The amps in each wire are going to be half of the total. If you run the calculator again using 4.9A you will find that you can use twice the length of wire previously calculated, and that 20 guage will work up to 27 feet.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

How about using our forum sponsor SteinAir for all your aircraft lighting, avionics and electrical wire and coax cable needs. They carry every size wire you will ever need in any experimental aircraft project. Service is great and likely Stein will be answering the phone when you call. Telephone: 651-460-6955

https://www.steinair.com/product-category/wire-coax/

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear