Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ADS-B Solution

Default ADS-B Solution

I received my Kitfox 7 STI kit at the end of October. It is a fantastic kit and I enjoy building it. The fuselage is almost completed and ready to get covered, so I concentrate now on avionics, trying to decide what to get and where to install all components of the system. I decided on Garmin G3X, GSU25, GMU11, GTP59,GMC305,GTR20 etc. The problem that I have is to decide about ADS-B. Any recommendations? I can go with Garmin option, but it is very costly. uAvionix? Can I integrate TailBeaconX with G3X? Can I do the same with Echo UAT? I would like to have ADS-B OUT, would be nice to have ADS-B IN as well. Any suggestions?

Robert

Default Re: ADS-B Solution

First, I will admit that all of the nomenclature Garmin uses for each of its devices leaves me with having to do research to see what each does.

I too am in a build starting about the same time as you and am about the same place in the build, however, my partner in the build is doing all the electronics research and we will be using a Garmin G3X Touch suite. One thing that I do know about Garmin devices is... they do not like to talk and communicate with non-Garmin devices. In other words, if you go with another vender for ADS-B, such as uAvionics (very good products) Garmin will not display their data.

If you are going to have ADS-B in your aircraft, you are best to go with Garmin products for it.

Ralph

I have Uavionix EchoUAT for in/out, and I use Foreflight. I really like Uavionix, and they are super responsive
    if you have any problems.

Regards,
    Jeff

Think back to what Dustin shared about "Safety Glide". If you recall, it uses ADS-b weather data to chose the appropriate runway to line up on. I wonder if using anything but the Garmin stuff would start degrading options of the G3X touch. Really, my point is, as Ralph suggests, having all Garmin stuff is optimum (I mean if you have everything else already). I really like mine. Maybe consider passing on the auto pilot for a bit. I would much rather have my ADS-b in and out than my auto pilot coming out of the gate but I live in congested airspace so....
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Krasowski View Post
    I decided on Garmin G3X, GSU25, GMU11, GTP59,GMC305,GTR20 etc. The problem that I have is to decide about ADS-B. Any recommendations? I can go with Garmin option, but it is very costly. uAvionix? Can I integrate TailBeaconX with G3X? Can I do the same with Echo UAT? I would like to have ADS-B OUT, would be nice to have ADS-B IN as well. Any suggestions?
    Robert
    I don't see any mention of a transponder in your list (GTX-xxx), you absolutely need to have one if you are going to have ADSB-Out. And no, the G3X display will not work with the uAvionix products without a transponder. The uAvionix tail or wing light/ADSB requires a functioning mode C transponder. So if you want to go this route pick any new transponder you want ($2000 - $3000) and add the tail beacon ($1999) and you will be spending $4-5K. You can take that money and buy the GTX-335/35R (ADSB Out only) or GTX-345/45R (In/Out) for $3-6K.

When you go the uAvionix route you have the two separate components that depend on each other. Either can fail and you will be spending $2k minimum to fix or replace it. If the uAvionix LED light fails or antenna gets broken it's nonrepairable . . . and $2K for a new one.

If you get a Garmin transponder you will only install one product and have a transponder, encoder and ADSB that integrates seamlessly with the G3X. Easy peasy, done!

I just went through decision this with another plane I own. It had a uAvionix tail beacon that failed, as well as a Garmin GTX-327 transponder and Sandia encoder that were still working fine. It was going to cost me $2K (to get ADSB-Out working) for a new uA Tailbeacon. I ended up buying a new GTX-335/GPS which included an GA-12 encoder and GA-35 GPS antenna for $3199. Now I have a brand new single package transponder/ADSB/encoder with the warranty too. I may be able to sell the old transponder and encoder and recoup several hundred dollars. For the money this seemed like the better choice.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Another option: The Stratus by Appareo in/out transponder.
    I have the earlier version ESG with ADS-B Out only. It has performed flawlessly since install.
    The ADS-B in version was not yet available when I purchase avionics back in 2016. Since I had ADS-B in already by way of
    a Garmin Aera 500 GPS and also on my iPAD with the Stratus S2 receiver, ADS-B in was not an issue at that time. Still isn’t.
    Customer service was/is excellent the little I’ve needed.

Stratus by Appareo

Stratus ESG with ADS-B out tucked under the freshly installed Garmin GTR-200B comm. radio.
    3A09841C-8E05-4BAF-A9BE-ECAD1DA05EB0.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I can vouch for the Stratus solution. I installed the in/out version (ESGi) in the T-6 and my Citabria. Both of those aircraft needed new transponders anyway so a complete solution was needed. I think it was around $3k per plane.

I have just received my uAvionics UAT in/out which is known to work well with the MGL displays (and GRT for that matter).

But...
    The comment above about Garmin working best with other Garmin devices is something I've read many times. If I had committed to Garmin displays I would just keep writing checks to Garmin.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thank you for all the answers. Yesterday I send a question to uAvionics and here is the answer:

"The tailBeacon X is not compatible with any Garmin products.
    The echoUAT is only compatible with Mode C transponders and since the Garmin G3X transponder is a 1090 ES transponder that provides ADS B out, the echoUAT is not applicable.

david wagner

uAvionix Technical Support

support@uAvionix.com"

SO, it looks to me that the best option is to stick to Garmin products. It is expensive but most secure and easy options. Most likely will purchase GTX45R remote mount transponder with antenna and GPS.
    Thanks for help.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    First, I will admit that all of the nomenclature Garmin uses for each of its devices leaves me with having to do research to see what each does.

I too am in a build starting about the same time as you and am about the same place in the build, however, my partner in the build is doing all the electronics research and we will be using a Garmin G3X Touch suite. One thing that I do know about Garmin devices is... they do not like to talk and communicate with non-Garmin devices. In other words, if you go with another vender for ADS-B, such as uAvionics (very good products) Garmin will not display their data.

If you are going to have ADS-B in your aircraft, you are best to go with Garmin products for it.

Ralph
    Hi Ralph, can you give me a contact to your partner in the build who is doing avionics, we may work together that can benefits us all.
    Thanks
    Robert

Hi Ralph, can you give me a contact to your partner in the build who is doing avionics, we may work together that can benefits us all.
    My build partner is VictorV on the forums.

Ralph