Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire suggestions?

Default Re: Tire suggestions?

In regard to Walmart having the Nanco N800 tires:

I placed an online order for store pickup on 1/12/2022. I received an order confirmation and then on 1/13/2022, about 9 hours after the order, received an e-mail saying the order is delayed. Today I did the online chat with Walmart about it and they could not tell me when the order might be filled. So, it looks like their website may have been wrong on that occasion and they might not have the Nanco N800s. I decided to leave the order open for a little while to see what happens but not hopeful.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Because this thread got me concerned about tires I went to the link I supplied above and put a couple tires in the cart and went to check out. I got all the way to paying with no indications of low stock, though shipping to Alaska was $400 for two tires. I emailed the service department about shipping and stock and was told the tires are in stock, ready to ship. They also said they fixed the shipping charge for me but I haven’t checked yet. If it’s reasonable the supply is about to go down by two just so I have spares.

Okay, more searching revealed these tires that would fit. I’m interested because 21” honestly seems a little small but I don’t know how tread would work out. Anyone ever fly knobby tires? I bet it wakes you up if you land crooked.

Carlisle Knobby ATV Tire - 22X11-8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O5QQ72...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Can't think of any reason why you would want knobby tires on the main wheels of an aircraft. Grooves would serve a purpose if you want to eliminate hydroplaning on paved runways, but why knobs? Traction is of little benefit on unpowered wheels; in fact some slip is a benefit on touchdown wheel spin-up to reduce wear and controllability issues. Kicking up gravel is also a problem with knobs and also with grooves.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Maybe the knobs give extra traction for short takeoffs!! Sorry I couldn't resist that one.
    I tried 22 x 11 x 8 atv tyres with the knobs shaved off.
    These had the benefit of light weight and due to the narrow kitfox rim became very tall when installed. I can measure at a later date, but I believe around 24 inch .After about a year these went out of round .I went back to my nanco's , maybe sometime in the future I will try again with a different brand.
    If this out of round issue could be resolved these tyres could be an extremely affordable option.

Why are several previous posts missing from this thread?

The link I shared earlier for tires has responded that they have the Nanco in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    In regard to Walmart having the Nanco N800 tires:

I placed an online order for store pickup on 1/12/2022. I received an order confirmation and then on 1/13/2022, about 9 hours after the order, received an e-mail saying the order is delayed. Today I did the online chat with Walmart about it and they could not tell me when the order might be filled. So, it looks like their website may have been wrong on that occasion and they might not have the Nanco N800s. I decided to leave the order open for a little while to see what happens but not hopeful.
    Well, WalMart came through and I picked up the 21x12x8 Nanco N800 tires today. I see online that they now show "out of stock". FYI, even though I bought them through WalMart they had TireCo labels on them.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

I'm needing a set of Nanco tires 21x12x8 as well. Can't find in stock anywhere. Any other suggestions? Is this a temporary thing you think everyone out of stock?

Supply chain problems are apparently hitting the availability of these tires. About all you can do is keep looking online and calling to check stock with various places.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Gear Works Tire had them last week when I spoke with them. Shipping to Alaska was $200 a piece so I didn’t order them.