Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 7 flaperon jig

Default Re: Model 7 flaperon jig

Quote Originally Posted by Pushboy View Post
    No problem -- Incidentally, do you know where I can get a hold of the pattern anyway? I have a kit on order and I wouldn't mind making myself a set a head of time.
    Symmetrical or asymmetrical?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Hmm... that's a good question and shows how new to this I am. I'm not sure. I guessing what ever comes with a new SS7 series kit, but guessing has gotten me in trouble before.
    I think I knew there were two types, but cannot remember the pros/cons of each, and I also see both listed in the parts catalog, but I didn't see an option to choose on my order from for the kit. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject -- which is better for what?

Thanks.

The model 7 kit comes with asymmetrical flaperons.
    The main thing about the flaperon jig is not a perfect profile, but that it holds the flaperon so that the chord line is parallel with the bottom surface of the jig (where you will be holding your level). Some folks cut the profile a little oversize so that the can line it with a thin foam/rubber to help prevent denting the aluminum skin when you clamp on the jig.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Although not a model 7, I just had to make a jig for replacing the flaperons on my model 4 project. I hacked it out of plywood and wasn't really even that close, and then put clear packaging tape on the flaperon, slathered the mating part of the hacked out jig with JB weld and put it on the flaperon. Once cured, I had a perfectly conforming jig.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

The SS7 are asymmetrical the drawings are are available on the the Kitfox web site but I think you will need the flaperon to get the profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images