Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a ground plane for your radio?

Default Do you use a ground plane for your radio?

I am installing a Garmin GTR 200. The old radio had a ground plane about 2 inches by 3 inches tucked under the antennae. The Garmin says it needs a ground plane at least 18 x 18 with an antennae. What do you all use?

Thanks,
    Steve Sands

Default Re: Do you use a ground plane for your radio?

I very thin piece of aluminum is all you need.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    I very thin piece of aluminum is all you need.
    Hi DesertDave, I would use very thin aluminum, yes, but do you have a ground plane and how big is it. Thank you.

I use a ground plane of 4 copper wires, about 18" long, in a cross pattern under my antenna. The wires are easy to zip tie to the structural tubing, and exact 90 degree quadrants are not required.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I use the airframe and the airframe only. Tony Bingelis of Experimental Aircraft fame suggested it (when talking about steel tube airframe) so I followed. I have not had anyone complain and I haven't any complaint either. I use that same radio. I suppose you would need to know what antenna I was using to get the truth as to whether you would get the same mileage. But, apparently a ground plane is unnecessary. Possibly I could get more range maybe but in this slow airplane I always reach my contacts within plenty of time before I reach their airspace.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

18x18! Wow.

According to Garmin you'd have to locate your magnetometer about 50' from the aircraft for it to work properly. Yes joking, but they seem super conservative on their installation instructions.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I use a ground plane of 4 copper wires, about 18" long, in a cross pattern under my antenna. The wires are easy to zip tie to the structural tubing, and exact 90 degree quadrants are not required.
    Jim, thank you for the note. I like that idea as it seems a lot simpler than a rectangular sheet of thin Al. Hope to meet you at one of the Oregon fly-in's next year.

Steve Sands

I used aluminum discs for my plane and it has worked very well.

Here is another way using foil tape. There is a video on the EAA Hints for Homebuilders about this method at: https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Hints-for.../6264738687001

Ant.png
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Eddie, I went for about 5 years without a ground plane in my SS7, and like you had no problems with range. However, 3 years ago I flew to Oshkosh and traveled side by side with a friend in an all metal airplane. We were tuned to the same frequencies and he seemed to be able to pick up ATIS information quite a while before it came thru on my radio (Garmin SL40). That's when I began to realize that my radio was plenty functional, but quite limited in range in comparison to others. After I got home I installed the ground plane and immediately noticed a increase in range. Your mileage may vary, but that was my experience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim, I have an annual coming in February and I was going to do exactly as you have done just to see. I suspect I will gain distance as you have experienced. Just not sure I will ever look to pick up ATIS that far out. Having said that, it is ATIS that I have tried to receive from afar without success. I have to go through Ontario Intl airport airspace before they hand me off to Chino tower. I have tried to get ATIS from both facilities before making my first call but have not been able. So, I just wait and try to monitor Chino while up with ONT tower. Doesn't always work out, hence the reason I was anticipating taking your advice and was going to give it a whirl. I'll let you know.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X