Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 LL ethanol free gas recipe

Default Re: 100 LL ethanol free gas recipe

I've got a 912is in my S7 and have over 400 hours running Chevron 92 Octane with Marine formula Stabil ethanol additive and no problems. The engines run ethanol fuel in snowmobiles all the time with no problems. I replace the plugs and change the oil every 100hrs and the plugs never look bad. I have a transfer tank in my truck with a filter on it, and when I change the fine filter at 100hrs I cut and inspect it. Never any debris. The gas has stained the fuel sight gauges slightly, but not enough to make them unusable. They will be replace in 200 hours with all the hoses. On the road I use 100LL with Decalin, but it is a very small percentage of my consumption. The only difference I notice is the lead on the plugs.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rtc183 View Post
    I've got a 912is in my S7 and have over 400 hours running Chevron 92 Octane with Marine formula Stabil ethanol additive and no problems. The engines run ethanol fuel in snowmobiles all the time with no problems. I replace the plugs and change the oil every 100hrs and the plugs never look bad. I have a transfer tank in my truck with a filter on it, and when I change the fine filter at 100hrs I cut and inspect it. Never any debris. The gas has stained the fuel sight gauges slightly, but not enough to make them unusable. They will be replace in 200 hours with all the hoses. On the road I use 100LL with Decalin, but it is a very small percentage of my consumption. The only difference I notice is the lead on the plugs.
    Bob
    This is totally not applicable to a kitfox. A Rans s7 has a plastic fuel tank whereas the kitfox has a fiberglass tank. The issue using ethanol laden fuels has nothing to do with the engine but it's driven by the fuel tank resin resistance to ethanol.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

While we are on the subject of fuel, I spoke to my fuel stop owner yesterday about the new lead free aviation fuel. I posed the question "are you aware of the new fuel, and are you anticipating having it"? His reply "not gonna happen". He stated that none of the main fuel refineries were interested. I hope it happens in spite of his comments. I hate having the nagging thought of what the inside of my gearbox looks like since I used nothing but 100LL and Decalin. Im not ever too impressed with how the spark plugs appear at 100hr change (clean) but I can't see the inside of the gearbox. The manual states I have to open up the gearbox for cleaning and inspection at 1000hr instead of 2000 tbo.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So splashing the acetone around inside my tank during install didn't help much with ethanol? How long will the tank hold up to ethanol? Seems fine so far.