Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a prop upgrade

Default Re: Considering a prop upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by 3kdscf View Post
    It takes me a full hour to re-pitch my Whirlwind and because you have to do it every 50 hours as part of the inspection procedure, its a real pain. I regret buying a whirlwind for this reason. The DUC sounds like a dream.
    Sounds like an annoying procedure, especially if you are tripping & flying a lot. I did get a used Sensenich with intentions of mounting this. It has a pitch pin setting procedure and a large spinner & backplate (which was one of my goals for being able to dynamically balance as well). Since my acquisition, I have seen comments that even the Sensenich pin system will only get you close to where you want to be (before doing to the old fashioned protractor assisted setting method). We will see.
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Quote Originally Posted by 3kdscf View Post
    It takes me a full hour to re-pitch my Whirlwind and because you have to do it every 50 hours as part of the inspection procedure, its a real pain. I regret buying a whirlwind for this reason. The DUC sounds like a dream.
    Re-pitch or verify the pitch hasn't moved? It shouldn't change unless bolts are loose which is a completely different issue.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    Re-pitch or verify the pitch hasn't moved? It shouldn't change unless bolts are loose which is a completely different issue.

The 50 hour inspection procedure specified by Whirlwind says that you have to disassemble the entire hub, inspect all the parts, then re-assemble. You are right though, if it were not for this procedure there would be no need to repitch every 50 hours. Its actually pretty annoying and I suspect that this extensive 50hr inspection requirement is just a CYA move by whirlwind rather than something warranted by past failures. Attached is the relevant page from the manual.Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 2.42.45 PM.jpg

I have a Whirlwind and only did the 50 hour check after the first 50 hours. After that, I check annually (at the annual condition inspection) and I admit that sometimes I don't do a compete disassembly if pitch measurements show nothing has moved and bolt torques are good.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was looking at the E-Prop Glorieuse the other day. Looked like an interesting alternative.
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM

I too am in the market for a new prob. Currently flying a 3-blade 68" Warp Drive. It has good performance, but a little heavy and not easily ground adjustable. I've been debating on the Duc easy ground adjust or IFA. The e-prob looks almost too good to be true. 4kg for hydraulic IFA with electronic control?!? I've got to see one of these things in action.
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL