Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How To Trim Your McFarlane Throttle Cable To Length

Default How To Trim Your McFarlane Throttle Cable To Length

I bought a 48" vernier throttle cable for my Model 6 and it was still way to long. I called McFarlane and was given some good instructions over the phone. Here is a pictorial description of what I did:

I put the knob end over a cake pan to catch any rollers if the mechanism came apart.
    Twist the knurled nut loose till it pulls free.
    IMG_2379.jpg

Next up SLOWLY pull the throttle knob away from the cable assembly making sure you don't knock the rollers loose. If you do, McFarlane has a video how to reassemble it >----> https://youtu.be/5RcjEd7lR4Q
    The thought of this happening drove me to do this project on a workbench instead of in the airplane.
    IMG_2380.jpg

Here is a picture of the rollers still captured as they should be.
    IMG_2381.jpg

Next up pull out the assembly way beyond what you need left of the inner throttle cable. When you cut thru the outer cable you don't want to nick the inner cable that will remain within.
    IMG_2382.jpg

I needed about 7 inches but I wanted it on the longer side so I pulled out 11 or so inches for the cut. Take a deep breath and make your cut. I used a new Dremel wheel but the tech guy at Mc Farlane said a sharp set of diagonal cutters could be used too. Personally I would be afraid of crushing the outer tube with the cutter method.
    IMG_2383.jpg

Now pull the throttle a bit more out to deburr your cut. You don't want sharp edges wearing away your inner cable.
    IMG_2384.jpg

Next up was assembling the ends. I used a dab of JB Weld and LocTite on the three tiny set screws.
    IMG_2385.jpg

Lastly cut the inner cable to length. You could use the torch & drill method >---> https://youtu.be/LnTHZhTkg2U or a Dremel cutoff wheel. I wouldn't use diagonal cutters as you want these to stay nice and round for the final install.
    IMG_2386.jpg

That's it! I'll install the unit tomorrow and hopefully the carbs stay synchronized.
    Last edited by desertdave; 12-09-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Default Re: How To Trim Your McFarlane Throttle Cable To Length

Thanks Dave. Good upgrade.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: How To Trim Your McFarlane Throttle Cable To Length

That's a good tutorial on throttle cables, thanks Dave.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw