Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912is Configuration

Default Rotax 912is Configuration

I am purchasing my Rotax 912is in the UK, the dealer has asked me what configuration I require. Rotax has a configurator for their engines on their website, I have pasted a link below. For those who have ordered and received their 912is through Kitfox could you advise what engine configuration you received.

https://configurator.flyrotax.com

This is what I was thinking.

Vacuum Pump Drive - No

Cooling Air Baffle - No

Fittings (Oil, Fuel) - UNF

Engine Suspension Frame - Yes

Exhaust System - Yes

Fuel Pump - Yes

Wiring Harness - Standard

External Alternator - No

Default Re: Rotax 912is Configuration

That sure sounds like what I got when I received mine a couple of months ago. I'm not sure what the Cooling Air Baffle refers to, but I didn't get any baffles with mine. My only deviation from the norm was a Type 3 gearbox, as I'm using a hydraulic constant speed prop.

I can't imagine that Kitfox would refuse to answer this question, even though you're not buying it from them. It would be silly and expensive to ship an engine made in Europe on a round trip, and I'm sure they'd understand that. Give them a call; it's cheaper than buying the wrong engine!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    That sure sounds like what I got when I received mine a couple of months ago. I'm not sure what the Cooling Air Baffle refers to, but I didn't get any baffles with mine. My only deviation from the norm was a Type 3 gearbox, as I'm using a hydraulic constant speed prop.

I can't imagine that Kitfox would refuse to answer this question, even though you're not buying it from them. It would be silly and expensive to ship an engine made in Europe on a round trip, and I'm sure they'd understand that. Give them a call; it's cheaper than buying the wrong engine!
    Eric the cooling baffles, if you go on to the configurator and deselect and then select them you can pictorially see what the baffles are, I looked at lots of build photographs and could not see them.

I did ask Kitfox about what configuration they supplied the Rotax 912is, they said they have received the same standard package supplied to the USA market for many years. I think the configurator is a new tool offering more options. My biggest concern was the length of the wiring harness, I do not want to be inches short or yards long so I will go with standard.

Aaah, sorry; I was looking at the website on my phone and it wouldn't show the option selection screen. Now that I'm on a computer I see what you're talking about. I didn't receive the cooling baffle.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Most of us have issues getting the engine to warm up. Baffles would likely make matters worse.
    A fuel pressure sender is not included with the engine or the FWF from Kitfox. You will need
    UMA Pressure Sender (U) 0-70 PSI. I'm pretty sure this PN is Aircraft Spruce: 10-01059.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thank you for the replies.

I have a quote for the 912is and will order tomorrow, I hope this and the Airmaster 70" Whirl Wind combination will give me good all round performance. I am going Dynon for the panel as I have experience installing and operating.

That will be all the major components ordered, I don't normally order these parts before I have the Kit (12/22/21) but I thinking there may be some price hikes in the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    ...there may be some price hikes in the New Year.
    I'm sure you can count on it. I snuck in just in front of a Rotax price hike early this year, and Debra at Kitfox told me it's an annual ritual. Given world events, it'll probably be a substantial increase this time.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

An engine sitting in the crate may have warranty issues by time you run it. I believe two years from purchase. The long term storage preparation is supposed to be redone at two years if I recall correctly. I had a warranty issue on three parts, one inexpensive and one that cost me $350 the other $150. Two items by 40 hours and the other at 120 hours. I didn't test the warranty department so maybe they would have covered if I had pressed them.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm missing what your reasoning was re: not getting the alternator from Rotax. Can you please elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by cpdutch View Post
    I'm missing what your reasoning was re: not getting the alternator from Rotax. Can you please elaborate?
    That alternator is an optional external one, you would order this if your aircraft has a high electric load. The standard 912is comes with two internal alternators for redundancy.

From the Rotax 912is Operation Manual.

Generators 1 and 2

The two generators (Generator 1 and Generator 2) are electri- cally isolated and mounted on one stator. Each generator is connected with a regulator mounted on the Fusebox. The Fuse- box takes care of the energy management and allows selecting whether the EMS is supplied by an external power source (e.g. Battery) or one of the generators. The selection which of the generators is powering the EMS depends on the engine status and can only be done by the Engine Control Unit (ECU).
    During the engine start an external power source is needed to power the EMS. After the engine speed is high enough to power the EMS with the Generator 2, for running the engine the exter- nal power source is only required in emergency situations. If a defined engine speed threshold has been reached for a certain time Generator 1 takes over to supply the EMS. After this, Gen- erator 2 can be used to supply the Airframe (e.g. instrumenta- tion). In no operation state Generator 1 can be used to supply the airframe.

Malfunction

in case of an malfunction of Generator 1 the internal electric supply system changes to fail-safe mode where Generator 2 again is in charge to supply the EMS. In fail-safe mode Genera- tor 2 is not able to charge external power sources or supply the airframe.

The EMS is not capable of supervising the power provided to the airframe. If the EMS is powered by Generator 1 and Gener- ator B fails no indication is provided from engine side.