Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitch Trim Indicator

Default Pitch Trim Indicator

Although some of you are flying with an electric pitch trim indicator I've still got the mechanical version in my Kitfox 6 (and I'm happy with it so far). Since I've only got about 15 hours on my plane to date I don't have the indicator plate or the graduated decal permanently in place yet. Although I'm practicing takeoffs and landings at all three of the various flaperon settings, most of my takeoffs to date have been with 1/2 flaps and I've put a line on the coiled spring tape with a sharpie so I can get a consistent trim setting on each takeoff. This seems to be the most "normal" takeoff trim setting I've read about for a Kitfox so far so I'm thinking this is probably the way to go. But, before I install the adhesive backed indicator decal with its "Takeoff Position" green band centered on my sharpie line I'm curious to know if the more experienced flyers out there might suggest any other alternate trim positions for me to consider for locating my decal. My home base is a 2500' grass strip. The picture below has the indicator plate and decal laying on the console just as a visual reference.

IMG_8553.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Pitch Trim Indicator

Larry , I have a Series 5 with the same setup as your 6 , and I did the same as you during my initial tests. 90% of my normal takeoffs are with 11 degrees (1st notch) of flaps. For soft field (this time of year on my grass/snow runway) I accelerate to 35-40 MPH at 1 notch then pop in full 22 deg flaps and the airplane is off , accelerate a bit in ground effect and reduce to 1 notch for normal climbout. For solo ops I set the trim at the fwd edge of the green band (i have a continental IO-240 heavy engine so CG is more fwd solo and moves aft as I load baggage and/or a pax) and the aft edge of the green band when loaded with a more aft CG, although to be honest I probably wouldn't feel the difference if I was off some either way. During testing I simulated forgetting to reset trim for takeoff after landing and did a takeoff and although the stick pressure was a bunch , the aircraft was totally controllable . So yes you are on the right track, might want to do your most aft CG loading tests and see how your trim feels with the setting you are seeing while flying solo before affixing the sticker. Bruce N199CL