Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Do 914s have / need an external generator?

Default Do 914s have / need an external generator?

I saw in Flyrotax that a number of engines show an external generator. Is one needed on the 914?

Default Re: Do 914s have / need an external generator?

Quote Originally Posted by RV6flyer View Post
    I saw in Flyrotax that a number of engines show an external generator. Is one needed on the 914?
    The 914 has a single internal generator that generates 250w which is about 21 amps at 12v. The need for an external generator depends on
    your electrical system requirements.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Also consider whether you're building an IFR or VFR airplane and how much flying you intend to do at night, both of which will drive your level of tolerance for a loss of alternator.

If the following are true...

1. your battery is of sufficiently large capacity and is tested to ensure it can cope with alternator-out electrical demands for long enough to get you safely on the ground, and
    2. you have a plan for reducing electrical load to maximize battery-only endurance, and
    3. you have a system to immediately notify you of low bus voltage (EFIS alarm, panel light, etc.) so you'll know right away if the engine's internal alternator dies

...then you may not need a backup charging source.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

With my Nav lights, strobe lights, fuel pump, G3X, landing lights, heater, headseats, ipad, cell phone charging, the stock rotax does not have enough amps. Edge performance makes a 35 amp alternator. Its works awesome. I am running the edge 35 amp alternator as primary. It has its own Voltage regulator. If that dies I switch to the stock rotax alternator and stock rotax voltage regulator to get me home.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!