Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reasonably Priced USB-C Outlet

Default Re: Reasonably Priced USB-C Outlet

I just spotted this much more economical alternative for a USB-C. I have no idea about noise or reliability.
    https://powerwerx.com/panel-usb-qc30-typec-qc40
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitz View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am not an electrical engineer…
    I roughly did this test with a USB charger that I am thinking to mount on my wanna-redo-the-panel of my KFIV1050. I used a handheld radio only on 130.000 which is the frequency I use 99% of the time. The noise appears when I take the radio/antenna closer than 20cm (8" circa), and suddenly disappears when I move it away, in any direction. It seems that the charger emits lot of noise but with limited power so that it can't reach too far away.
    The question now is whether installing it fairly far away from the radio set and antenna cable would save from interference. Let say finding a spot on the firewall right end giving around 15" of distance from the antenna/radio set, (not on the panel, not easy to reach, but...) would be enough?
    In alternative, is there a way to screen the usb as it doesn't send frequencies out?
    Or any other trick someone has adopted to make this USB converters work properly (including buying one of a specific brand and doesn't cost a fortune).
    As the working alternative is still a good power bank.

P.S. The USB Plug emits noise only when a device is actually connected and charging; if it is just powered but empty, it doesn't radiate. If you tried yours with no device, it doesn't count
    Last edited by umberto.orlandi; 01-16-2023 at 06:08 AM.

Hi Dave
    I purchased 2 of these chargers with the plugs and pins. I’m not much of an electrician but do understand 12 volt system’s. Can you tell me what size wire you used to install yours? What size fuse are you using? Should I wire the 2 lm installing with one fuse or keep them separate? Also what pin positions did you use? I see the data sheet dwg lists pin position #1 and 4. Does it matter which one is positive or negative? Thanks for any suggestions from anyone.

Joe
    Building Kitfox5 Taildragger
    912uls

See this drawing. It shows that pin 1 is positive and pin 4 is ground (see the small chart just above the title block, near the lower-right corner). It also shows that maximum current is 3.8A.

22AWG wire is adequate from a safety perspective and the crimped contacts that fit in the Molex Mini50 connector are designed for 22AWG. If the total wire length is 6 feet, you'll see a ~0.37V drop using 22AWG; not a problem while the charging system is holding the bus at ~14V.

I would fuse them separately at 5A each.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks for the info Eric!
    I missed the pin chart on the dwg showing pin1 being positive.
    Curious if you installed one of these chargers and what thickness your panel was.
    Did it snap in and fit ok?
    Thanks again for all the other info.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox5 View Post
    Curious if you installed one of these chargers and what thickness your panel was.
    Did it snap in and fit ok?
    No, I haven't used the Molex charger. Instead, my airplane will have the most expensive USB charger known to man! It's a bit of a story; feel free to skip to the text below the line...

Back when EFBs were first getting popular in aviation, there were only a couple of eye-wateringly expensive TSO chargers, and one very amateurish offering for the experimental market (it used a linear regulator, essentially a 20-watt heater behind the panel).

I naively thought I could do better, so I spent about a year and a pile of cash developing a charger for airplanes that would identify and rapid-charge two tablets from any of the popular brands, automatically shut off if the alternator quit, not make any noise in radios or headsets, and that I could sell for a reasonable price. I worked with chip-makers' application engineers, made multiple prototypes, created an LLC, designed a website and reserved a URL for it, wrote a datasheet and installation instructions -- the whole works.

The product development was a successful effort but it was overtaken by the market. There are now at least a dozen other options with slick packaging and big marketing budgets. There's no way I could compete, so I cut my losses and folded up my tent.

I don't regret doing it -- I leaned a ton and had a good excuse to buy electronic test equipment -- but I got a little over my skis WRT setting up the business side of things before I had anything to sell. That wasted a LOT of time.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm going to use my final prototype charger in my airplane.

To address your question about panel thickness, the Molex drawing indicates that it'll accommodate panels that are 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0mm thick. It looks like there are discrete steps on the little side clips that hold the unit in place.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings