Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Everything About Reaming

Default Everything About Reaming

Hi all, I have just started my build last weekend and was wondering what your thoughts were on protecting the bare steel that gets left after reaming. Depending on where you live or the build shop environment rust could set in if left too long before the fitting of bushes etc. Thank you for your thoughts

Default Re: Everything About Reaming

I usually like to brush on a little light grease or oil. If you're talking about the control surface hinges, you can apply the oil or grease with a small brush, q-tip, etc. Here in the Denver area we have very low humidity, and that is good from a corrosion standpoint, so doing that right away isn't as important as if you lived close to the ocean. If the assembly is tightly bolted together (like flaperon hinge assemblies), it should be mostly sealed from air and moisture, and depending on the environment be just fine for many, many years, but I will usually assemble with a little wet primer on those surfaces (probably over-kill).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John, and yes I was talking about the horizontal tail and elevator hinges. The very first reaming to do at start of build. I guess I was a bit paranoid after reading the build manual tips mentioning that 4130 chromoly can be very sensitive to picking up rust through oxidation.

Also, when you press the bearings into the freshly reamed location, you will be using Loctite Bearing Locker, which will seal the area from moisture and oxidation (corrosion).

Another thing to consider, at almost every location that you will ream something, there will be either Loctite Bearing Locker or some lubrication, both will protect against corrosion.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Also, when you press the bearings into the freshly reamed location, you will be using Loctite Bearing Locker, which will seal the area from moisture and oxidation (corrosion).

Another thing to consider, at almost every location that you will ream something, there will be either Loctite Bearing Locker or some lubrication, both will protect against corrosion.

Ralph
    Good points, Ralph... I wasn't even thinking about that. Jez - you definitely don't want any oil or grease on those surfaces that are going to receive bushings/bearings, before you apply Loctite.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I wish I could find it to provide a link, but someone on here posted a few months ago about a problem he had pressing in the bushings. As I recall, he found that the Loctite was curing quickly and making it very difficult to press the bushings all the way in. I think the lesson was to do the job in a cool climate to slow curing, and have the right tools immediately at hand so you can work quickly.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Here is my method of pressing in the bearings. The tool that I highly recommend is Knipex pliers. They have adjustable jaws and the jaws are parallel and smooth with no grooves.

First I adjust the jaws of the Knipex pliers to span the bearing and the fitting I am pressing it into.

IMG_7001.jpg

I insert the bearing or bushing partway into position, then I put the Bearing Locker on and press into position.
    The Knipex pliers allow a straight constant pressure to press the bearing into position.

IMG_7003.jpg

Knipex pliers are great.

If you don't have them you can always use a proper length bolt, some washers and a nut. Put a washer on each end and quickly tighten the nut to pull the bushing in. If needed loosen the nut and add more washers, or use a shorted bolt. You should be able to press in a bushing in less than 2 minutes.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Knipex pliers are great.

If you don't have them you can always use a proper length bolt, some washers and a nut. Put a washer on each end and quickly tighten the nut to pull the bushing in. If needed loosen the nut and add more washers, or use a shorted bolt. You should be able to press in a bushing in less than 2 minutes.
    This is what I did but I used a short piece of all thread with nuts and washers. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

This is great information here thanks all. I will continue to let you know how I am getting on throughout the build if thats ok In all honesty I never really thought that I would use the Kitfox forum for any advice, but I am starting to realise its a bloody awesome place to get some advice.
    Last edited by Jez; 11-24-2021 at 05:36 AM.