Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Upper Frequencies Distorted on SW-V6 Digital Radio

Default Upper Frequencies Distorted on SW-V6 Digital Radio

Hi all,
    I've been fighting this issue for a bit now with no resolution. So before I send it to an avionics shop I thought I'd get some expert opinions on what i might try first.

I have a SW V6 Digital Com (https://www.michiganavionics.com/pro...hf-com-radio/P) that is mis-behaving. The audio quality is fine both receiving and transmitting at frequencies below 130 mhz. However, at frequencies above 130 mhz the transmission is scratchy and 'hollow' sounding both to the receiving ATC controller and in my headset. However when ATC transmits to me, it is normal. Only when I transmit does the problem occur, but it happens every time.

Of course, my home airport tower frequency is 134.55, so its an issue I need to solve. Coincidentally, the ground freq is 121.9 and works great! Go figure.

The radio is married to a Rami antenna (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=9801) and I've removed the antenna and cleaned the paint off the mounting plate under the fabric and replaced the hardware to guarantee good grounding. I've read that adding a ground plane might help, but based on my research the Kitfox's frame should be plenty of ground plane.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Mark

Default Re: Upper Frequencies Distorted on SW-V6 Digital Radio

Mark,

Just a suggestion, you might take a look at the microphone on your headset. I have seen cases where an older headset or one with a less than perfect microphone will cause trouble like this on transmitting and be fine on receiving. You might try switching to different headsets and see what happens. Mic gain setting on the radio can sometimes need too be adjusted to match the microphone.

Again, just a low tech suggestion.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN