Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Fox Build

Default Re: Rock Fox Build

One of the things Ralph and I found useful was to take the kits that were in paper bags and transfer to a ziploc
    so we could see what was inside. It also helped to group items together and use ziploc bags since some of the
    kits have numerous baggies with 1-2 parts and it's painful to dig through the entire pile each time for that kit.

I don't think there is a perfect solution since it seems we still have to search through a bunch of boxes to find
    things sometimes.

A few other details about the build....

- G3x Touch
    - VPX
    - iPad for 2nd display
    - Speedster tail
    - Laker leading edge
    - Upgraded lift struts
    - Shock Monster
    - Stewart Systems for fabric
    - Ground adjustable prop (until MOSAIC is implemented)
    - Designing the electrical system using SkyCad

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Ralph and VictorV. Congratulations! I'm about a month behind you all from taking delivery of my KitFox STi.
    I just completed inventory a week ago (left everything in boxes labeled from KitFox ), and just finished building a wing stand and a 4x8' work surface. Next step is to make some brackets to attach to 2 engine stands for a rotisserie for the fuselage.
    I doubt I'll be able to keep up with your Rock Fox progress but please keep posting pictures of your progress/challenges etc. and any more worthwhile tool mods!

IMG_3568.jpgIMG_3643.jpgattachment-1.jpgattachment.jpg
    Looking forward to seeing everything come together.
    Kevin Olson
    KitFox S7 STi

Welcome to the builders list Kevin. It is a fun process, although challenging at times.

please keep posting pictures of your progress/challenges etc. and any more worthwhile tool mods!
    I do have some tool recommendations. For reaming, look for "threaded reamers", they have a 1/4-28 threaded end that will fit into most tools designed for threaded bits. I found mine at The Yard Store, they also have a Hex Drive 1/4-28 drive for the reamers. For tight fits for reaming I used this with the following from my torque driver: Hex to 1/4" drive... 1/4" drive flex extension... 1/4" socket... threaded reamer with hex drive. See picture.

IMG_7035.jpg

Also, when it's Hysol time, I found using pastry piping bags to apply. Very controllable delivery and cost effective (100 bags for around $10 on Amazon)

More later... to quote someone else... "Back to Work!"
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm just curious, seems everyone when they get a new kit takes inventory and takes all the parts out of the boxes and puts them on various shelves in the shop. I am lazy and believe in the KISS principle, so when I received my new kit I inventoried to make sure all parts were there, but then left them in the boxes they came in, which are all labeled Box C, Box D-1, etc. Just stored the original boxes in the shop in stacks not too high so they were easy to get into. When I needed a part to work on, I just looked on the inventory list where each part is listed along with the Box number it came in, went to that box and pulled out the part with a minimum of rummaging. Easy-peasy. No need to go to HF and buy a bunch of storage boxes/shelves/roll-around carts. Am I the only one to do it this way?
    Jim - the short answer: no you aren't. I learned the hard way during my first build - leave the parts where you can find them. I followed the process you described and it was a big help. It is especially helpful when the parts aren't drawn or pictured in the manual or don't look like the drawing. As my dad used to say: "To each his own said the man that kissed the cow."

Great tips. Thanks Ralph!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Welcome to the builders list Kevin. It is a fun process, although challenging at times.

I do have some tool recommendations. For reaming, look for "threaded reamers", they have a 1/4-28 threaded end that will fit into most tools designed for threaded bits. I found mine at The Yard Store, they also have a Hex Drive 1/4-28 drive for the reamers. For tight fits for reaming I used this with the following from my torque driver: Hex to 1/4" drive... 1/4" drive flex extension... 1/4" socket... threaded reamer with hex drive. See picture.

IMG_7035.jpg

Also, when it's Hysol time, I found using pastry piping bags to apply. Very controllable delivery and cost effective (100 bags for around $10 on Amazon)

More later... to quote someone else... "Back to Work!"
    Ralph

After careful measurement of the rib placement on the Horizontal Stabilizer and Elevator, ensuring they were lined up with each other it was time to Hysol them into place. Before that.... we sanded the ribs, and scuffed the surfaces. To apply the Hysol, I used pastry piping bags, we put masking tape to keep a clean area around the Lysol (not needed). After applying a nice bead, Victor smother the Hysol into a nice fillet.

As usual on the first mix, too much Hysol. A good use of left over Hysol is to use it to fill voids around welds.
    IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6980.jpgIMG_6979.jpg

Using piping bag to apply Hysol, Victor smooths Hysol in nice fillets.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.05.41 PM.jpgIMG_6982.jpg

Ralph

Congrats, guys! I'm exicted to follow along. How long did you end up waiting from the order date to delivery?
    Student Pilot
    Here to absorb everything about building a KF.

When I started out I was mixing up twice the amount of Hysol I needed (I did the same with epoxy varnish). I learned to have a list of other places I could use it up so it didn't go to waste, even if it was a project around the house that needed fixin'. You get better at judging the amount needed.

And the tape is always a good idea. One of those things you don't need until you do. Working as a team (and with some clearly demonstrated skills) it's probably less of an issue. But when you're working alone and get some unintended squeeze out you feel the pressure to continue to get the job done, but also to stop and clean up your mess. If it's a glob on some tape you can move on and not worry.

On the parts sorting discussion, if I had started with a new kit I would absolutely leave the parts kitted as they came. For those of us picking up older projects I had to go a different route. After the second time I halted my project to order some missing hardware (even just some AN3 bolts or washers), only to find I had what I needed in another bag I pulled EVERY rivet, bolt, nut, washer out of every bag and put them in organizing trays.

Looking forward to following your project.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

After receiving my kit, I sorted and hung what I could on the wall.
    It made searching a particular washer or split pin much easier. Anywhere I had spare wall space, I hung stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by DMMeix View Post
    Congrats, guys! I'm exicted to follow along. How long did you end up waiting from the order date to delivery?
    Order was placed Dec 2020. Original scheduled delivery date was April 2022 but someone wanted to push their delivery date
    out so KF offered the Sept 2021 slot to me and I said "Hell yes!".
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x