Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: TK1 Tailwheel steering spring tension

Default TK1 Tailwheel steering spring tension

I recently replaced the Maule tailwheel on my Model 4 with the Shockmonster TW. The solid rubber Maule was showing signs of the rubber coming apart. (25 yrs. old but zero time). I'm wondering if anybody has experience fine-tuning the steering spring tension on the Shockmonster.

Currently I have extension springs with just enough tension to keep the chains from being slack. As can be seen here, even this small amount of static tension bends the TW horn on the rudder down a bit. Many of the other photos I have seen recently on TW threads show the steering horn coming from the factory articulated downward a bit to place the holes for the steering springs lower relative to the tailwheel, resulting in less of an angle on the springs.

I haven't taxied the plane yet with this setup. just wondering if anybody has experience with the TK1, as the locked/castering mechanism is unique and quite clever.

IMG_7032.jpg
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Default Re: TK1 Tailwheel steering spring tension

Dont know if its just me but those chains look to b at to much of an angle and looks like they want to pull the steerin horn on rudder downward.

Where did you get that tailwheel shock setup (I don’t see a tailwheel from Tony) ? It looks great. Is that a Marco tailwheel? Thanks!

Not to change the subject (too much) but several of us have lost those tension springs and found compression springs to be the answer. (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=9712 Yep, expensive but they aren't left on the runway as FOD for the next guy and you don't lose tail-wheel control.) Back on point, the angle of the spring (et al) can be improved a bit with AN42B eye bolts https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...boltsan42b.php.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    ...the angle of the spring (et al) can be improved a bit with AN42B eye bolts https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...boltsan42b.php.
    DW, help me understand how the eye bolts would be installed to reduce the spring angle...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I don't have a good picture, but you can see here that eye bolts are installed on the rudder steering arm, oriented down, while also installed on the tailwheel oriented up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

What John said (and, thanks). I looked and I don't have even a bad picture. Will take one the next time I'm at the airport.

This is how my old V tailwheel was setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, thanks guys. I think I see how that would take a degree or two out of the spring angle. The up-turned ears on the tail wheel horn look pretty effective too.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings