Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modify rudder control horn?

Default Re: Modify rudder control horn?

Good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Looking at your pic, I see that you have the old Aluminum Spring. Grove told me to not use that kind of spring and
    remove it since a number of them had broken. So you might want to make tailspring replacement a todo item, just a
    suggestion.

Regards,
    Jeff hays

Eric, your template looks exactly what I made to extend my model 4 rudder horn back in 2002. It was bolted to the original. I recommend chromoly (4130). My first extension, not 4130, lasted about 5 minutes of taxi time before bending and my model four was a nose wheel.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Well, that didn't go well. Ten minutes into the effort, my rudder fell over and shattered the Hysol/SuperFil cap. So, I get to re-live that couple of days' worth of work.

Attachment 29212
    Well Eric the bright side is, I always say I could do that better and faster the next time....
    Your on the next time. Haha
    Just have to laugh at deals like that even though its not funny at the time. I've been there. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Just have to laugh at deals like that even though its not funny at the time. I've been there. Harlan
    Yeah, I may have uttered some things that my dear mother would not be proud of!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Looking at your pic, I see that you have the old Aluminum Spring. Grove told me to not use that kind of spring and
    remove it since a number of them had broken. So you might want to make tailspring replacement a todo item, just a
    suggestion.

Regards,
    Jeff hays
    Jeff, your comment worried me because I have the Grove aluminum tailwheel spring, for about 5 years now with no problems. I contacted Grove about this and they said to contact Kitfox. I contacted John McB at Kitfox and he said this was very OLD information. Kitfox has been selling (and still does) these Grove springs as an upgrade option for many years and has had no breakage problems. The OLD information is about 16 years old and only applies to a very early version of the Grove spring.

Maybe the spring in Scott's photo is one of those old ones and if so, your comment is right on. However, I just wanted to clarify that the present version of the Grove spring has been holding up very well for about 16 years now, and I am very happy with mine. I have treated it pretty rough on dirt, gravel bars, and backcountry strips with no issues. I did increase the clamp bolts to 1/4", but that is a Kitfox issue, not a Grove issue.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have one of these grove springs if anyone is interested. Make offer and pay shipping. I don’t know the age but I installed a T3 for aft weight. (Continental engine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Curious to know what the one's that didn't modify the the shorter horns are doing to protect the lead edge fabric? I didn't know about this mod and I am not going to tear off into the rudder and have to do more fabric work. Is there some material to make a guard or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Curious to know what the one's that didn't modify the the shorter horns are doing to protect the lead edge fabric? I didn't know about this mod and I am not going to tear off into the rudder and have to do more fabric work. Is there some material to make a guard or something?
    In post #3 Arlina shows where he used some stainless steel strips.

I'm on the fence about this one. I have fully rigged my rudder but nothing is covered, so I could do something without major surgery if needed. I'm surprised I didn't notice the riding condition when I rigged it (I do have the "speedster" tail). The down side is that I actually prefer a sensitive rudder on a tail dragger, and lengthening those horns means the rudder pedals will need a more dramatic poke to keep the tail of the plane behind the front - always the favored orientation.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Jerry,

I fabricated a poly plastic wear shield in the same place on the rudder where the other person used SS. The material was cut from a plastic container of iced tea which had the same curvature as the rudder area requiring protection from the link. Sorry I don't have a photo but the shields have been there since 2008 when the plane was built and still fine. I used a couple very small SS screws to hold it in place. Some might think the choice of materials was somewhat mickey mouse, however, it had all the right characteristics.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Oh I do see the stainless now. Thanks.

I'd probably do the extension if my fabric wasn't on already. However, the thought of doing more fabric work right now is enough to make me start drinking bottles of tea to get the material I need to make Dave's modification work!

Thanks.