Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox 7SS for sale. CAUTION

Default Re: Kitfox 7SS for sale. CAUTION

N157KS is registered as an Experimental Amateur-built.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Well, count me as surprised. I wouldn't have thought that the Kitfox factory could build a plane and register it as an E-AB. How do they convince an inspector that they built the plane for "recreation and education?" Perhaps a single person at the factory built the plane, or at least served as front man for its construction.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Well, count me as surprised. I wouldn't have thought that the Kitfox factory could build a plane and register it as an E-AB. How do they convince an inspector that they built the plane for "recreation and education?" Perhaps a single person at the factory built the plane, or at least served as front man for its construction.
    I would imagine there is no shortage of volunteers at Kitfox who would love to step away from their day job to get valuable (yes educational) experience building the entire plane. Increasing their overall product knowledge is a win for the factory too. I also imagine you're correct, that an individual or small group of individuals is credited with the build.

Tech support must be fabulous. Turn your head and say "hey, can you take a look at this?".
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    This was a very common practice in the olden days , When the company was Skystar aircraft, they would usually have at least 2 demo airplanes on hand that would be used by the sales dept, then usually get sold after a year or 2. Heck I almost bought one when I took a trip to the factory to do a demo ride and factory tour in 1999.(they were asking $58,000 for the IO-240 powered Series 5 Outback) Thought about it and knew I had to build my own and make it exactly how I wanted an airplane , so same day we negotiated on kit like I was buying a car and they actually accepted the offer I made below the Kit price. Things have changed a bit since then (didn't have to wait 18 mos to get a kit) especially with the Kitfox name recognition in todays market place. Still the happy owner of N199CL-I'll fly her till I tip over. Bruce N199CL

Aerobatic video included in advertisement. Being sold by sales agency. As the conversation with him went on, I tried to clarify. I quoted the FAA definition: As defined in FAR 1.1, a light-sport aircraft is an aircraft other than a helicopter or powered-lift that since its original certification has continued to meet the following:- A maximum takeoff weight of not more than 660 pounds (300 kilograms) for lighter-than-air aircraft; 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for aircraft intended for operation on water.
    I stated if it had ever been certified over 1320 lb it could not be changed to LSA compliance. He said "not true, you just have to know aplicable regulations." Missed a call from him, tried to call back, no answer. He eventually said he already had 3 offers by people who had "already figured it out", and refused to tell me any more about how he proposed to do it. Still listed, though.

Bugging me, because if he or someone has found a legal loopwhole, would love to know how. Most likely a sales deception.
    Last edited by MKirkm; 11-02-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Found this
    Attached Images Attached Images

This registration information is from you are showing is from Flight Aware. If you go to the FAA website and the "Look-up N-Number" page, it lists the kit manufacturer as Kitfox Aircraft LLC and the Aircraft type as "Fixed Wing Single-engine". This indicates that this aircraft is LSA and not EAB. Without access to the aircraft records and being able to read what the seller is claiming, all any of us can do is speculate about the aircraft. Whom ever is interested in buying this aircraft, I would recommend a thorough inspection and records evaluation before making any offer.

Here is the info I found on it. It says experimental amateur built for airworthiness classification. JImChuk

Serial Number KA16078327 Aircraft Type Fixed wing single engine
    Mode S Code 50162442 Year Mfr 2017
    Aircraft Category Land Builder Certification Not Type Certificated
    Number Engines 1 Number Seats 2
    Aircraft Weight CLASS 1 Aircraft Cruising Speed 0
    Airworthiness Classification Experimental Approved Operation Codes Amateur Built
    Engine Manufacturer ROTAX
    Engine Model Name 912 IS Engine Type 4 Cycle
    Engine Horsepower/Thrust 0 Fuel Consumed

Quote Originally Posted by MKirkm View Post
    Aerobatic video included in advertisement. Being sold by sales agency. As the conversation with him went on, I tried to clarify. I quoted the FAA definition: As defined in FAR 1.1, a light-sport aircraft is an aircraft other than a helicopter or powered-lift that since its original certification has continued to meet the following:- A maximum takeoff weight of not more than 660 pounds (300 kilograms) for lighter-than-air aircraft; 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for aircraft intended for operation on water.
    I stated if it had ever been certified over 1320 lb it could not be changed to LSA compliance. He said "not true, you just have to know aplicable regulations." Missed a call from him, tried to call back, no answer. He eventually said he already had 3 offers by people who had "already figured it out", and refused to tell me any more about how he proposed to do it. Still listed, though.

Bugging me, because if he or someone has found a legal loopwhole, would love to know how. Most likely a sales deception.
    The KIT manufacturer may be Kitfox Aircraft LLC, but the AIRPLANE manufacturer is listed as Foxair LLC, and it clearly lists it as Experimental Amateur-built.

reg_Page_1.jpg
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Moved this thread to the discussion section where it belongs.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy