Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel Line Choices

Default Fuel Line Choices

I have a kitfox III. What are most people running for fuel line? Also, do most people run a valve at the fuel tank and if so, what part number?

F-4040-A PVC FUEL TUBING (yellow)
    TYGON LP-1200 FUEL LINE TUBING (white)
    PARKER SUPER-FLEX 397 SERIES FUEL LINE HOSE (black)
    1/4" POLYURETHANE FUEL LINE (blue)

Thank You,
    Matt

Default Re: Fuel Line Choices

Gates Barricade, Green Line, carburetor hose (not fuel injection).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Why not fuel injection line.? I used that on my prior 7 and it all but stopped fuel odors . The other options always seemed to let fumes through eventually.

Gates Barricade fuel injection hose.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Gates 27003 Fuel line from Amazon is what I use. The original hose provided by Kitfox will allow fuel smell to escape, especially with Mogas. It did improve once 100LL was put in but I replaced the hose with this Gates product and with 100LL I don't smell fuel at all. Im looking forward to the new aviation fuel so I can quit buying the fuel additive for the lead.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

A few years ago, I bought some of the yellow tygon 1/4" tubing from a local farm and fleet type store. Less then a year later, the tubing had shrunk and stiffened up. Don't know if it was just a bad batch or what, but that stuff was junk. Somewhere I have a picture of me holding about a 2' long piece of it sticking straight out without it bending down at all. I used to use the blue stuff from leading edge, but I don't think they sell it anymore. JImChuk

Why not fuel injection hose? I am going to just repeat what the knowledgeable folks over on the Rotax-Owner.com forum have been recommending for quite a while now:

- For one thing fuel injection hose is totally unnecessary on a carbureted engine. Its pressure rating is way above what's required.

- Its high pressure rating also prevents it from taking as small a bend radius as the standard hose without kinking.

- The standard Gates Barricade hose will NOT let fuel vapor permeate thru it.

- Fuel injection hose has a harder, stiffer, inner lining (related to the pressure rating) that doesn't seal as well on barbed fittings. In fact high clamping pressure can cause the barbs to cut into the lining and small particles to break off the inner lining under the clamp and migrate downstream into your carburetor.

- This all being said, they say fuel injection hose is ok to use if you avoid sharp bends, and barbed fittings (use the smooth bulbed-end type or proper crimped ends), but why? There are no advantages.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

[Thanks for that input. On my other kitfox the Barricade did stop the fumes from coming through especially on a decent to land but the fuel injection hose solved it . I did use the existing barb fittings but maybe over time it would have started to leak.

My Newer 7 is now getting pretty fumy sitting in the hanger , I done find any leaks so the lines could be getting bad?

My method is to use aluminum tube for long runs in the cockpit. Then either use fittings or if need be put a bead on the end of the tube and use a short length of hose. A good low permeation hose is the marine A1-15. It is a little pricey but I don't need much.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    [Thanks for that input. On my other kitfox the Barricade did stop the fumes from coming through especially on a decent to land but the fuel injection hose solved it . I did use the existing barb fittings but maybe over time it would have started to leak.

My Newer 7 is now getting pretty fumy sitting in the hanger , I done find any leaks so the lines could be getting bad?
    Building a KF IV Classic