Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running Zenair (or other) Amphib's? Thoughts?

Default Re: Anyone running Zenair (or other) Amphib's? Thoughts?

Good explanation of what can be sometimes a very difficult thing to get accomplished.

A good friend of mine has built about a dozen airplanes, most of them different makes and models, and including some biplanes. And all of them were put on floats. And every one of them had great off the water performance. So one day I asked him how much time he spends trying to get the rigging right on all those different planes? He explained that his method is quite unusual compared to what others do, but it works well and is not very difficult or time consuming. So here is how he does it.

He said that since he typically sells airplanes on land gear and not floats, that he always has the CG of the aircraft on wheels. So when he puts it on floats his obvious goal is to have a similar CG as when on wheels. Following his experience and general basics like the distance of the floats to the fuselage, the throat (incidence) angle, spreader width, etc., he installs the floats. Once that is done he literally puts a pipe under the step of the floats and rolls the airplane around on a flat floor until the aircraft sits level. Where the pipe is in relationship to the step tells him if he needs to move the floats fore or aft. So then it is a simple thing to shift the floats to the optimum position, and he's done!

I thought that was a bit crazy until one day when I was talking to JJ Frey (who used to run EDO float corporation and also wrote the book "How to fly floats") and he said that sometimes they did the same thing at EDO, as rigging so many different types of aircraft was difficult without a lot of trial and error costing a lot of time and strut material. So I guess my friend's method wasn't so unusual after all.

I guess I'm just lazy. I try to copy rigging of other people (like you) that have already figured it all out! So thanks again for sharing.

Paul

Resurrecting an old post, but seemed better than starting a new one in this case - anyone have experience with Z~Floats from SportAir? They are aluminum amphibs, built in the Czech republic. I saw them at Oshkosh this year, apparently they've been around a few years now. I just sent them an email and will report back their responses.
    Ryan

Hi

Wondering if anyone has Zenair floats on a Kitfox. I am considering purchasing a pair.

Thanks for any info!

Skipper

The new Z Float is just a new name for the Czech 1300 amphibs I mentioned elsewhere in this forum. It is my favorite for the heavier LSA type aircraft, yet still works well on aircraft with 700 lb empty weights (ew on wheels that is). That float would work well on your Model 5, and I personally would try the C-90 with a nice long 2 blade prop like is used on a C-90 J3 Cub on floats. Your empty weight on those amphibs would probably be similar to the Cub on straight floats. You'll have less wing area, but I think it would make a reasonable performing amphib floatplane.

Paul S
    Central Wisconsin

Hi Skipper,

If you tell me more about your Kitfox, like which model, what engine you have, what your empty weight on wheels is, and what model and size Zenair floats you are considering, I could give you a good idea how they would work on your plane. And for the record, the First Kitfox ever floated was on Zenairs. It is shown in the earliest Kitfox Company videos. Zenairs work well on Kitfoxes if sized and rigged properly.

Paul S
    Central Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Hi

Wondering if anyone has Zenair floats on a Kitfox. I am considering purchasing a pair.

Thanks for any info!

Skipper

Thanks for posting. I recently ordered a pair of straight floats from Zenair for my Kitfox S - 7 from Canada

James Franzel

Western WI