Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: LOW oil temp

Default LOW oil temp

I seem to be oddly on the other end of the spectrum as some other members with our engine. I can’t seem to get the temps warm enough. After warmup, taxi and mag checks temps are still 105-109. The warmest I’ve seen it after a series of stop and gos is 173.

I had a rotax machanic today look at it and he states there was no thermostat on the engine and that one could be added for about $100 but that is was quite difficult to install after the engine was already mounted.

Does this make sense to anyone?

I have no previous experience with the rotax.

Thank you,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: LOW oil temp

Yes you can add a thermostat. You can also cover part or all of your oil cooler and that should bring your oil temp up. Before I did anything I would test the gauge and the sender.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Not sure which engine you are running, but with my 912is my oil temps are generally low - especially on cooler days. Last weekend the air temp was about 3C. On landings I was seeing about 82C. It wouldn't be until I'm full power again that temps would rise, but still be below 90C. Someone else local also has low temps with standard cowling cut outs and has had to block them in the winter. I may have to do similar from what I'm seeing.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I have the smooth cowl on my Kitfox 4 with the 912, and my opening for the oil cooler is about 3" x 9". I made up an aluminum plate that bolts on to make the opening about 2" x 4". That seems to work good all through the northern Mn winter. I just put it back on this weekend. I do have a couple of the oil thermostats as well, but haven't put one on. Probably would sell one... JImChuk

Cabin Controlled louver fixed that problem for me.

Anti splat aero makes them

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 9.07.45 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 9.09.00 AM.jpg