Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Litium battery question

Default Litium battery question

I am leaning towards going with a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery. Super light and and plenty of CCA and can handle the 18 AMP rotax alternator, from what I found during my research.

My question is, all of you that are running the lithium batteries, are you keeping them on a charger when not flying?

Is the charger even necessary? It's $90! and looks flimsy.

My odyssey 625, I kept on a trickle/maintenance charger. But from what I read, the lithium batteries, don't bleed down unless something is left on.

Also, can you jump start a lithium battery? Like get to the airport, hook up jumper cables and crank......?

Might end up staying with ole faithful, oddesey 625, but gaining 10-12 pounds of useful load is appealing and it seems that the meltdowns of the lithiums are few and far between nowadays.

Default Re: Litium battery question

I'm running an Earth-X (Forum Sponsor) for the last year or so. I do not keep it on a charger and the plane easily starts up every time.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Earth x also. They have their own internal board that controls the charging, discharging, balancing, voltage. If volts get too low it will shutoff output to save the battery. I know earthx wants you to buy their fancy charger, but just send it 14v and it will charge and balance the cells. So, I just use my power supply and set it for 14v and couple amps. Another feature I like about the earth x if it detects a problem it will turn on a light, which can be tied into the Garmin g3x that gives me an earthx fault CAS if there is a problem. Mine has sat for a month and the battery was still showing 13.2 volt. (Earthx resting volts)
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

EarthX with the fancy charger. Never needed to leave on the charger and by the rules at my airport, couldn’t leave it on any charger unattended. The Battery Management System works as advertised. The warning light will blink in the appropriate “ pattern” for any fault it might detect. Pushing two years now and still the cheapest weight reduction I employed on my build. Also the quickest starts I’ve experienced on a Rotax engine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

4+ years with EarthX battery. Never have left the charger on. If I rarely need to charge it (like if I do a bunch of avionics testing with the engine off) I just use an Aerovoltz lithium charger that I already had.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

How about in cold weather, say -10, -20, anyone been there yet with a cold start on the battery after u warm up motor if u have a 0235 lycoming in a KF5, The new battery i just put in her is 400cca, myB&C starter/alt paperwork says 300cca minimum, and im not impressed with off brand battery i bought at $125, should have got a better one. But could b the long run of cable from tail to motor, i want to remove it from the tail and move it closer to motor.

+1 for EarthX. Had one in my Cessna 120 and it sat for 5 months in the Alaskan winter. Fired right up in the spring. Also run one in my STi.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

I'm also using an EarthX and don't charge it.

I would avoid other brands if you think you are trying to save money. The EarthX has dual BMS built into the battery. There are a lot of lithium batteries out there you could buy for less, but they probably don't have a built in BMS. That is what is going to save the battery from a thermal runaway, over discharge and over charge, etc. If you ever over discharge a lithium battery there is no way to recharge it, you just throw it away.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Which model earthx battery? Rotax 912uls.

ETX680

$379.00

or

ETX680C

$379.00

I installed the ETX680
    with Kitfox Aircraft’s nice battery box for the
    EarthX ETX680. I think the ETXC will fit in their battery box too.
    8B3CEA73-851D-4E1C-AB52-BBBD4A5C5AD9.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear