Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: It's legal!

Default It's legal!

I got my Airworthiness Certificate yesterday. This is what I am calling a KF24. I started with a Kitfox Model 2 fuselage, widened it, added the nosewheel attachments, strengthened the wing carry throughs, enlarged the vertical tail, converted the ribs, flaperons, and mixer to a model 4, and swapped the 582 for a 912UL. Now all that is left is to fly it. That's where I'm hung up. I have ~100 hours in a Cessna 150 and maybe 1/2 hour in a Model 4 1050. I didn't feel comfortable in the other Kitfox so I am hoping that a friend of mine will do the initial testing. The other option is to sell it to finance the completion of a Zenith CH601XLB that is in my shop. What do you think? is it stupid for me to do the first flight? I think I know what my wife would say!
    20210906_143853.jpg

Default Re: It's legal!

Nice! Good call on switching out the 582. We have a powered parachute with a 582 in it, and had the engine fail twice. Finicky engines they are. If your not confident on the first flight, then for sure have a friend help. Okay to be nervous, but if your lacking confidence I would have someone help you. I love experimenta'ls for the fact you can modify like you have done. Good job!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: It's legal!

Probably best to let someone else fly it for a bit to work out the kinks. Bad enough if one is familiar with the plane and how it flys, but combine issues with inexperience and you have a bad combination. And when you do start to fly it, pick the best possible conditions for the first flights. And congratulations on finishing it up! Looks nice. JImChuk