Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 aftermarket ignition modules

Default 912 aftermarket ignition modules

During a recent run up and mag check we discovered one ignition module was bad. This 912ULS has the older 6 and 4 pin connectors and a single replacement module can set a guy back nearly a $1000.

A forum member pointed me in direction of a Barnstormers add for replacement aftermarket modules and which can be found at https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1604831-Rotax-CDI...

These come with longer wires to get the module away from the heat and vibration of the stock location on top of the engine and as a extra bonus a built in soft start. After mounting the ignition on the fire wall the first start was immediate and smooth and we picked up about 200 rpms in climb out.

20211015_080957.jpg

Default Re: 912 aftermarket ignition modules

Still working well for you?

We have about 10 hours on the new modules with no issues.

Scott S

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS97385 View Post
    We have about 10 hours on the new modules with no issues.

Scott S
    I’ll second these modules. We are an American distributor for these ignition modules and I couldn’t be happier with them. Put these in my plane at the start of the season after finding a dead ignition and since installation I’ve placed just about 100hrs on the plane. No hiccups no issues. Great part is these modules are tunable so you can actually link your computer to them and change parameters if you know what you’re doing. Wouldn’t hesitate to install these again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you still running these and how are they working? I'm in need of a replacement and these are like 4 for the price of 1 compared to OEM...

[QUOTE=ScottS97385;101894]During a recent run up and mag check we discovered one ignition module was bad. This 912ULS has the older 6 and 4 pin connectors and a single replacement module can set a guy back nearly a $1000.

A forum member pointed me in direction of a Barnstormers add for replacement aftermarket modules and which can be found at https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1604831-Rotax-CDI...

These come with longer wires to get the module away from the heat and vibration of the stock location on top of the engine and as a extra bonus a built in soft start. After mounting the ignition on the fire wall the first start was immediate and smooth and we picked up about 200 rpms in climb out.

/QUOTE]

Agreed!

After discovering one of my original (1993) CDI ignition modules was bad, I replaced them both with this unit. Mounted them on the firewall away from the engine and heat with hd industrial self-stick Velcro. They were easy to install.

Very pleased with the performance.

IMG_2731[1].jpg

Here is the email I received from Allistair:

Brett,

The aftermarket CDI units that I sell for the 80/100hp engines are pretty much plug and play. They come with an inbuilt soft start (not so critical on the 80 hp engine) and a quick spark feature and have proven extremely reliable.

The quick spark feature requires a 12Volt DC input, but this is straight forward to hook up. You only need to supply a 3-amp fuse to each input line to the unit and you are all set.

They come with a 39-inch cable which allows the units to be mounted on the firewall or airframe well away from the heat and vibration above the coils, which is the main reason the Rotax units fail in the first place.

Mounting is via Velcro, cable ties or your own metal bracket. These units don't have mounting screw holes like the original OEM ones.

You should also check the condition of your rubber isolators under the coils on your engine, if these are cracked and damaged, they will allow more vibration into the coils. As the coils cannot be moved easily. It is best to replace these isolators. If required, I have a kit available for this purpose for $50 which is less than the $104 Rotax requires for the isolator replacement.

I provide a wiring diagram and installation instructions and as long as you adhere to the installation instructions and send me pictures of your installation, I will personally warranty these units for 100 hours or 6 months, whichever comes soonest, and I will replace any defective unit.

I am pretty confident that that I won't have to send you a replacement, as I have been selling these units for the past 2 years and have not had to replace a single unit.
    My customers have been very happy with the units and report quicker starting and smooth running of their engines.
    I rarely hear from my customers after they install these CDI's, some customers call to say they are very happy with the result, and a few have questions about where to place the units on the firewall, other than that the units are tested before they leave the factory, and I have not had to replace a single unit so far. A few customers have bought more units for different engines and aircraft that they own, and some have recommended their friends to me when they have had trouble with their Rotax ignition units.

They cost $265 each with an additional $20 for Shipping. $265 for one and $510 for two.
    I don't do credit cards or PayPal, so you have to send me a Check or if you need them right away, I accept funds via Walmart Money Transfer, which is a quick and secure method of transferring funds.
    I send out installation instructions and the units via priority mail and send you the tracking number when they are on their way.

My details are:

Allistair Wilson
    1081 N State Road 157
    Bloomfield, IN

812 384 4760 (home/office)
    765 602 0136 (ceel0

I'm always available to assist if you have any questions and need any additional support during installation.

Many thanks

Allistair
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

[QUOTE=bbs428;111781]
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS97385 View Post
    During a recent run up and mag check we discovered one ignition module was bad. This 912ULS has the older 6 and 4 pin connectors and a single replacement module can set a guy back nearly a $1000.

/QUOTE]

Agreed!

After discovering one of my original (1993) CDI ignition modules was bad, I replaced them both with this unit. Mounted them on the firewall away from the engine and heat with hd industrial self-stick Velcro. They were easy to install.

Very pleased with the performance.

IMG_2731[1].jpg

Here is the email I received from Allistair:

Brett,

The aftermarket CDI units that I sell for the 80/100hp engines are pretty much plug and play. They come with an inbuilt soft start (not so critical on the 80 hp engine) and a quick spark feature and have proven extremely reliable.

The quick spark feature requires a 12Volt DC input, but this is straight forward to hook up. You only need to supply a 3-amp fuse to each input line to the unit and you are all set.

They come with a 39-inch cable which allows the units to be mounted on the firewall or airframe well away from the heat and vibration above the coils, which is the main reason the Rotax units fail in the first place.

Mounting is via Velcro, cable ties or your own metal bracket. These units don't have mounting screw holes like the original OEM ones.

You should also check the condition of your rubber isolators under the coils on your engine, if these are cracked and damaged, they will allow more vibration into the coils. As the coils cannot be moved easily. It is best to replace these isolators. If required, I have a kit available for this purpose for $50 which is less than the $104 Rotax requires for the isolator replacement.

I provide a wiring diagram and installation instructions and as long as you adhere to the installation instructions and send me pictures of your installation, I will personally warranty these units for 100 hours or 6 months, whichever comes soonest, and I will replace any defective unit.

I am pretty confident that that I won't have to send you a replacement, as I have been selling these units for the past 2 years and have not had to replace a single unit.
    My customers have been very happy with the units and report quicker starting and smooth running of their engines.
    I rarely hear from my customers after they install these CDI's, some customers call to say they are very happy with the result, and a few have questions about where to place the units on the firewall, other than that the units are tested before they leave the factory, and I have not had to replace a single unit so far. A few customers have bought more units for different engines and aircraft that they own, and some have recommended their friends to me when they have had trouble with their Rotax ignition units.

They cost $265 each with an additional $20 for Shipping. $265 for one and $510 for two.
    I don't do credit cards or PayPal, so you have to send me a Check or if you need them right away, I accept funds via Walmart Money Transfer, which is a quick and secure method of transferring funds.
    I send out installation instructions and the units via priority mail and send you the tracking number when they are on their way.

My details are:

Allistair Wilson
    1081 N State Road 157
    Bloomfield, IN

812 384 4760 (home/office)
    765 602 0136 (ceel0

I'm always available to assist if you have any questions and need any additional support during installation.

Many thanks

Allistair
    Are you attending Oshkosh?

"Are you attending Oshkosh?"

Not this year I'm afraid. To many obstacles came up. Maybe next year!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint