Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Question on Horizontal Stab Braces

Default Question on Horizontal Stab Braces

I put my horizontal stab on the fuselage today for the first time. In attaching the braces, the directions call for a washer, then a bushing to go on the bolt before it goes through the bearing and the stab. I always thought a bushing went inside something to provide proper fit but in this case it looks like it's more of a spacer than a bushing. If the directions hadn't called it out, I would have put the bolt through the bushing, the bearing, the washer and then through the stab. Also I wondered why the washer was so big in diameter. So my question is does this look right the way it's put together and any insight as to why the washer is so big?

Thanks.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geek; 10-15-2021 at 05:55 PM.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Question on Horizontal Stab Braces

It looks right. The large washer is required whenever a bolt goes through a ball end (heim) rod end. The purpose is to trap the fitting if the ball should come loose. The washer is not necessary when the fitting is trapped by other means.

Ralph

The bushing works as a space so the pushrod doesn't touch the large washer.

The large washer is a fail see device in case the rod end bearing comes apart. If that happens the rod end can't slide past the large washer, but it can go past the bolt head and you would totally lose the attachment. The same thing is often done with rod ends connections like throttle, mixture, and prop controls. This falls under "best practices" according to the FAA.

Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thank you both for the answer to the question. Really appreciate it!! Once again the forum is a great place to go for solid answers.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG